Steaming milk with chocolate powder in it

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
ferdiefletch

#1: Post by ferdiefletch »

Doesn't that damage the machine in the same way pulling cubano shots do? Thoughts?

boar_d_laze

#2: Post by boar_d_laze »

Steaming milk with chocolate powder or cocoa in it, is just making hot chocolate. Awesome hot chocolate, by the way.

It doesn't damage the machine in any way. Just make sure to clean the wand thoroughly every time.

You'll get smoother results though if you dissolve the powder into a little hot water and stir it into a smooth, thick paste before adding the cold milk and steaming.

All roll, no stretch.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

Advertisement
billt

#3: Post by billt »

No it won't damage the machine. I've made cocoa with the steam wand many times, and very good it is.

As b_d_l says, you should mix it to a smooth paste first. I just use a small amount of cold milk and make it as you'd make Birds' custard! but it's probably quicker with hot water.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

Even though this same question is cross-posted from Coffeegeek (link), I'll add my 2-cents worth.

If you really want excellent hot chocolate, don't use powder. Instead melt chocolate chips that are used for baking and steam with milk. You can choose milk chocolate chips or my favorite, dark chocolate chips. It's a bit too intense for kiddies, but for adults, it's decadent chocolate goodness. Melt the chips in the bottom of the pitcher with the steam wand (or microwave them in a Pyrex cup), then add milk. Steam and stir.

Thanks go to Mike @ New World Cafe for this tip.
Dan Kehn

csepulv

#5: Post by csepulv »

FWIW, you can make a thicker hot chocolate initially (as Dan described) by using much less milk, then steam a second pitcher of just milk and make latte art. It doesn't work as well as with coffee, but my latte art isn't that good anyway so it doesn't make too much a difference for me. :wink:

But my kids like the latte art versions. I've spooned in foam "balls" to make snow men, draw some details with a toothpick, etc.

Hey, whatever lets you claim your espresso setup has value for the whole family...

P.S. A shot of vanilla extract or a vanilla bean in the hot chocolate goes very well.
Chris

ferdiefletch (original poster)

#6: Post by ferdiefletch (original poster) »

Thanks for your input everyone! HB, I would love to use real chocolate (which is what we used at my old place), but I just started a job at a new shop that uses powder. They just finished a new refurb of the place and I don't really want to suggest getting another expensive-ish piece of equipment (at least not RN!). lol

I thought that the chocolate powder/sugars in it might go up into the wand a little bit (I mean, besides getting rid of condensation, isn't that why you purge the wand before use? to get rid of milk inside it as well?) and maybe damage it if done regularly enough!

And sorry about cross posting, didn't realize it was a big deal, just wanted to get as much input as possible! Thanks!