Shots too short - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
cmin

#11: Post by cmin »

Rocky has quite some retention so your more than likely pushing stale bean grinds into your basket with fresh grinds which can cause early blonding issues like your seeing, not saying thats the only answer, but could help. You'll have to purge fresh beans first to get out stale grinds, then grind for shot, are you weighing your dose? I will also say I had a friend with a Rocky modded to be stepless and it was still not that good for espresso, was always having issues trying to dial in and extraction problems, even my Preciso was better. Purge fresh beans and then grind for your shot and see what happens, but I would start saving for a better espresso grinder.

edit - got it confused, was thinking of Mini like Vivaldi machine and that you still had the Rocky lol. But same principle applies to the Mazzers which have large retention, purge beans first then grind for your shot and let us know what happens. No need to worry about rice, make sure to use instant and it can help with burr seasoning.

Also try this, cut a small yogurt container/cup, they fit perfect into the basket. Grind into that, WDT with a needle. I single dose so I do the same, except I grind into my grinders bin then pour into the basket and wdt, give it a thwack to settle grinds, and then take the yogurt funnel out and tamp.

JmanEspresso

#12: Post by JmanEspresso »

If you have the ability to post a video of a bottomless extraction.. better yet, your whole shot prep including the extraction, that would definitely let us narrow down your problems and hopefully get it fixed.

geontemt (original poster)

#13: Post by geontemt (original poster) »

I got a Mazzer last week. Yes I am purging about 3 grams from my Mazzer. Yes I have a scale and am weighing. I make 2 shots for my wife and I and then 2 more shots within 10 minutes and have the same problems.

So do you think I should just keep at it and anticipate the shots will improve as the grinder breaks in?

cmin

#14: Post by cmin »

I would probably purge at least 5g and may even be more knowing retention on the Mazzers (but if your making shots right after and still having issues then thats not the only problem), but try the yogurt funnel for distribution as well and see what happens. Or just get a couple pounds of cheap store beans, grind them and dump out, clean the grinder and burrs then go back to your fresh stuff.

Post a vid if you can like others said

#15: Post by geontemt (original poster) »

Uploading video to youtube right now. I will link them when I get home tonight. I shot 2 videos one grinding into a bowl like I used to do, the second grinding into the portafilter. They both have terrible channeling but you can see my technique and offer any tips.
Thanks again for everyones help - George

JmanEspresso

#16: Post by JmanEspresso »

There really isnt much issue with retention on a flat burr mazzer. The electronic models will fill up the throat, but thats not that much. And, as was mentioned, if its happening on shots 4 and 5 too, its not a retention issue.

Good deal on the videos, that should shed some light.

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#17: Post by EspressoForge »

I looked back through the post to find out, but couldn't come up with it...what coffee blends are you using? From what roaster and how many days after roast date are you pulling them? It could be your beans are just a little past their prime.

How is the short shot? Does it taste good if you cut before it blondes?

#18: Post by geontemt (original poster) »

I am roasting single origin beans from sweet maria's, they are between 2-12 days old but I get the same results from a local roasters espresso blend that are in the same time frame as far as age is concerned.

This is the way I used to dose my shots from the Rocky. Sorry I don't know I to put the video in my post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYQIAhB ... freload=10

This is how I am trying it with the Mazzer.

http://youtu.be/bauoJ3eU1zk

I usually do not have channeling until the end when the shot blonds. So other than the channeling this is how my shots look, i.e. really slow to start and channeling at the end like you see in the videos. Also, at ~16 grams the espresso takes up much less space in the portafilter and is hard to groom.

Thanks again for everyones help.

#19: Post by geontemt (original poster) »

From a double I am filling around 1/2 of my demitasse cup.

kenniechan

#20: Post by kenniechan replying to geontemt »

Obviously your ground is too fine
Try to use a higher dose with coarser ground