Redialing after defrosting coffee

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Lauer

#1: Post by Lauer »

So I freeze some beans in 3 or 4 mason jars, opening a new one every 2 days or so. Now I'm using some logic hear to estimate (rightly or wrongly) that I would alter the grind or dose marginally backwards from end of last jar. So do I updose, grind coarser or a mixture of both? Would I go half way between start settings and end settings (if hypothetically it was dialed correctly at the start).

Spitz.me

#2: Post by Spitz.me »

I freeze, grind, re-freeze and have found that very little, if any adjustment is needed for the duration of their use. Depends on the blend.

You're pretty much just going to have to figure it out. The frozen beans shouldn't drastically age compared to the previous ones so I'd say you'll experience what I experience when you first crack open a new frozen jar, little to no adjustment compared to what you used when you first opened the previous jar, IMHO. I'm using a K10 and you have a Pharos, should be similar.
LMWDP #670

cannonfodder
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder »

Ian put together a nice frozen coffee storage calculator.

Frozen Coffee Storage Calculator

Beyond that you pull a shot and adjust as needed. Every coffee will age differently and the differences between the last shot and the first shot of a new batch will be defined by the age difference in the old batch and new batch along with differences in the roast between batches.
Dave Stephens