Reasons a roaster will not supply roasting dates?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
kabukiboy

#1: Post by kabukiboy »

I'm working in reasonably busy cafe and we're under contract to use just one blend of beans from a major supplier. We've been noticing variations in taste across batches of beans that have been supplied. The bags are marked with a batch number but no dates. When I asked for roasting dates they advised it is not company policy to provide that information.

Anyone else come across this and see any issue with it?
Thanks in advance.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#2: Post by cannonfodder »

Simple, dont buy ther coffee. Not putting roasted on dates is simply a way of pushing off old coffee.
Dave Stephens

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by emradguy »

yeah, I would definitely take issue with it. Your own palate have shown you why you must demand freshly roasted beans. I agree you should find another supplier if at all possible.
LMWDP #748

Bikeminded

#4: Post by Bikeminded »

Randy G.

#5: Post by Randy G. »

They might as well print on the bags:
"We do not, put the 'roasted on' date on our bags because we prefer you do business elsewhere."
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Nate42

#6: Post by Nate42 »

+1 to all of the above. They don't want to be honest about their freshness, then they don't deserve your money.

Compass Coffee

#7: Post by Compass Coffee »

kabukiboy wrote:I'm working in reasonably busy cafe and we're under contract to use just one blend of beans from a major supplier.
Note OP says under contract. Most likely using free or leasing equipment from said roaster with terms locking them into their beans. Not uncommon practice with Big roasters. Give someone equipment free or cheap making it easier to start up the business then ya got 'em locked in the long term bean profit cycle.
Mike McGinness

DaveC

#8: Post by DaveC »

kabukiboy wrote:I'm working in reasonably busy cafe and we're under contract to use just one blend of beans from a major supplier. We've been noticing variations in taste across batches of beans that have been supplied. The bags are marked with a batch number but no dates. When I asked for roasting dates they advised it is not company policy to provide that information.

Anyone else come across this and see any issue with it?
Thanks in advance.
It's a simple business decision....nothing complex or emotional about it. There are 2 questions that need to be asked.

Question 1: Is it costing the business more money in lost sales than it would cost to break the contract and go with a roaster who does supply this information?

If the answer is no, you stay as you are, if the answer is yes, you break the contract.

Question 2: When the contract ends, would we make more or less money by changing supplier?

That's it, nothing complicated about it at all.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by emradguy »

DaveC wrote:That's it, nothing complicated about it at all.
I think it's more than that. OP has complained about inconstancies in the roast, and so, if his place of business wants to maintain a certain level of quality, then that's part of the decision making process too.
LMWDP #748

kabukiboy (original poster)

#10: Post by kabukiboy (original poster) »

Thanks for the info everyone. There's no way we can or will break the contract, it's not something negotiated at my level. I was mostly curious if anyone could come up with a legitimate reason that I hadn't considered. I do want to put pressure on the roaster though but will have to see how that goes.
Thanks again.