Rancilio Silvia running out of steam!

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Inky10

#1: Post by Inky10 »

Hi, this is my first post on here. I have owned the Rancilio Silvia for 5 years. I have regularly descaled, and occasionally back flushed, following the instructions on various expert coffee sites. Recently, the steam wand has stopped heating correctly. When I turn the machine on, the light goes off quicker than usual, after a few minutes, I start to steam, and after 5 or 6 seconds, the steam literally runs out and the light goes back on. I have to leave it to reheat, light goes off, and then it gives me a little more steam but runs out again. Today it couldn't even do that.

Any suggestions what this could be? The company I bought it from is based 100's of miles away, so I'd prefer to try to fix it myself.

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

Replace the steam thermostat would be my first thought.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Inky10 (original poster)

#3: Post by Inky10 (original poster) »

Thanks for the suggestion. Is this something that is easy/safe to do for someone with little electrical knowledge?

ajf

#4: Post by ajf »

The thermostat is placed on top of the boiler, and requires virtually no electrical knowledge to install. You do need a steady hand though as the brackets that hold the thermostat on place are secured by two very small 3mm screws that are very easy to drop into the machine innards. (Don't ask me how I know this. :oops: ).
A magnetized screwdriver helps. You can see a picture of the thermostat here:
http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/assets ... -guide.pdf
Page 10, figure 18, green arrow.
The only electrical connections are the two wires (yellow and grey) which have connectors on them. Pull the connectors off the old thermostat, and plug into the new. You will also need some silicone heat transfer compound between the boiler and the thermostat to ensure good thermal conductivity between the boiler and the thermostat.

Alan

Inky10 (original poster)

#5: Post by Inky10 (original poster) »

Thank you Alan, for taking the time to give me such a helpful answer. I will order the part now and give it a go.

All the best,

Tania