Puck defect? What is happening here?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Armand

#1: Post by Armand »

Everytime I make an espresso I see the following defect in the puck, always the same place, though I don't see any grinds sticking to the screen

Nate42

#2: Post by Nate42 »

99% chance it means exactly nothing. But here's a trick that you can do to see if it has anything to do with your distribution and tamp. Prepare you shot as normal, but just before you lock in the portafilter rotate the basket in the portafilter by 90degrees. If your prep had anything to do with it, your defect will have moved by 90 deg. If that's the case work on your distribution. If that's not the case, I wouldn't sweat it.

TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

Armand,

How big is your dose?
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by uscfroadie replying to TomC »

By the look of the puck, I'd say bigger than it should be.
Merle

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

I agree with Merle/Tom that the dose looks too high. Try the nickel test, i.e., place a nickel on the dry puck, lock in and then remove. It should leave little or no impression. Based on the photo above, I think the puck is crashing into the dispersion screen and a dose reduction of 2 grams will help consistency.
Dan Kehn

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by uscfroadie replying to HB »

Great advice here by Dan. Also, if this is how you've been dosing, I'd pull off the screen and give it a good soaking/cleaning. You might be surprised to find it in serious need of cleaning.
Merle

TomC
Team HB

#7: Post by TomC »

uscfroadie wrote:By the look of the puck, I'd say bigger than it should be.

I was going for the subtle route :wink:
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Armand (original poster)

#8: Post by Armand (original poster) »

TomC wrote:Armand,

How big is your dose?
About 20g I think that's about the recommended dose for a double with the strega. For clarification I don't mean indentation is the center but the defect on the left of the picture, they are in all my pucks. This morning I ran out of beans and tried to make an espresso with the remainder (which was way too little) and it had the same defect.

HB
Admin

#9: Post by HB »

Every month or two, someone posts a "puckology" concern; search if you want lots of discussion. I'll repost my most recent response from Dent in the puck, always at the same place:
HB wrote:I'm not into puckology, but I'll play along. I'm skeptical that tamping or uneven water flow is the problem. I would try increasing the headspace by lowering the dose 2 grams and grinding finer. There should be a good nickel's worth of clearance between the top of the puck and the dispersion screen.
Most agree that puckology is between meaningless and nearly meaningless. The only value from your photo is the clear evidence that you're dosing too much, as shown by the sharp screen impression.
Dan Kehn

Armand (original poster)

#10: Post by Armand (original poster) »

Okay I took out the shower screen and cleaned it, the exact same defect now was in another place, then I lowered the dose and the defect disappeared. So the defect in the puck must have been caused by an unevenness is the screen which affected the too larger puck...