Proper Size of a Double Espresso

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
jamiedolan

#1: Post by jamiedolan »

HI;

I just realized that the glasses I have been pulling into are the Bodum 3 ounce glasses, not the 2 ounce, as I had thought. Most of the time, I get them pretty close to full, but when I am doing well, I get a good amount of crema, so maybe 1/2 ounce of that glass is crema and 2.5 is espresso. (now I am wondering if I have been consistently pulling around 1/2 ounce more than I should per double shot)

So have I been pulling into too large of a glass for a double shot? Do you normally count the crema as part of the volume of the double shot?
Is it better to use some of the the 2 ounce glasses and fill them to to top?

Thanks
Jamie

TimEggers

#2: Post by TimEggers »

Hello Jamie yes the crema is typically counted towards the shot volume. But really I wouldn't worry about the finished amount too much rather focus on the taste of the finished product. If 3-ounces tastes better to you then by all means pull 3-ounces. Taste really is the only important aspect of home espresso.
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

jamiedolan wrote:Do you normally count the crema as part of the volume of the double shot?
It includes the crema. A double espresso is approximately two ounces in 25-30 seconds from the time the pump is engaged. A double ristretto is approximately 1.5 ounces and runs longer, say 35 seconds. A lungo is approximately 2.5 ounces and runs shorter (as suggested by Al's Rule).

For comparative purposes, I use Andy's proposed brewing ratios. While everyone counts the crema in their espresso volumes (including the Italian Espresso National Institute), brewing ratios more accurately categorize your drink preference in terms that others can accurately reproduce.

Dan Kehn

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#4: Post by RapidCoffee »

jamiedolan wrote:I just realized that the glasses I have been pulling into are the Bodum 3 ounce glasses, not the 2 ounce, as I had thought. Most of the time, I get them pretty close to full, but when I am doing well, I get a good amount of crema, so maybe 1/2 ounce of that glass is crema and 2.5 is espresso. (now I am wondering if I have been consistently pulling around 1/2 ounce more than I should per double shot)

So have I been pulling into too large of a glass for a double shot? Do you normally count the crema as part of the volume of the double shot?
In a word: yes. Your pour should be close to 100% crema as it exits the basket. I typically end up with 80-90% crema when the shot finishes.

It's considered good practice to cut the pour when it blonds. My doubles run 45-60ml (1.5-2.0oz) with a brew ratio close to 50%. A true 3oz double is an extraordinary event for me.
John

malachi

#5: Post by malachi »

If you like the way it tastes - it's "proper".
What's in the cup is what matters.

Psyd

#6: Post by Psyd »

I think if you like it when it gets to the top of a pint glass, then quite a few folk will begin to argue that that ain't proper.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

cafeIKE

#7: Post by cafeIKE »

Man, that's evil :twisted:

jOe newbie, who's only had exprexxo at *$, or worse, shells out a cupla kilobux and is soon pulling gShot after gShot.

FF to when he encounters one of us consistently exceptional types and has a jaw dropping revelation. :shock:

Nothing proper at all about the lead weights he's been downing

jamiedolan (original poster)

#8: Post by jamiedolan (original poster) »

RapidCoffee wrote:In a word: yes. Your pour should be close to 100% crema as it exits the basket. I typically end up with 80-90% crema when the shot finishes.
It's considered good practice to cut the pour when it blonds. My doubles run 45-60ml (1.5-2.0oz) with a brew ratio close to 50%. A true 3oz double is an extraordinary event for me.
Wow, I get no where close to that much crema. I am currently using a well tested, locally roasted espresso blend that is only 3 days old. Grinding using my Mazzer e doserless. It does seem to produce a pretty respectable amount of crema, but my ratio is about backwards of what you describe with only around 20 of the shot looking like it is crema to me. I can shot some photos or video of my pull tomorrow if that would help to see what I am doing.

Maybe I am just limited in what I can do because of my cheap espresso machine. I am fairly happy with alot of my shots, and the crema seems like it is the proper consistency to be able to product latte art in. (even though I feel I am getting far less than 80% crema). However my milk is consistently too thick to make latte art that looks nice.

Thank you everyone for the information. Tomorrow will be a day of additional tests.

Jamie

peacecup

#9: Post by peacecup »

I doubt its the machine - I can consistently pull 90% crema shots with good beans, a hand grinder, and the cheapest Saeco pump machine on the market:

This shot is with the pressurized PF, but its the same with the non-pressurized.

Since owning my spring lever, I come to realize that lots of crema does not equal good espresso. I can get the 90% pours with it, but they are not always the best-tasting shots. Your espresso should taste good (to you) - crema is an important part of this, because of the texture that it imparts. If you want the all-crema texture you can focus on the right beans, grind, etc. to get it. I think darker roasts produce less crema in general.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

kahvedelisi

#10: Post by kahvedelisi »

Judging by taste good idea but not always. Lets say I'm pulling 3-4oz at home and it tastes delicious, is it still proper size of a double espresso? Lets leave home enviroment to a side and go visit a cafe which serves delicious tasting 3-4oz double espressos, that means; since it tastes delicious no one here (or any of the professionals) will object?

Commonly accepted single espresso size --> 1oz (which makes 30ml) per cup, so the proper size for doubles should be max. 2oz (and that's 60ml) per cup. IMO our aim should be, to try and get best tasting results within these ranges. Approving a 3 oz espresso as "proper double" only because it tastes good.. ah well.. that makes us starbucks! Grande espresso! :lol:
Resistance is futile. You will be caffeinated!