Proper espresso/milk ratio for lattes?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Bossman

#1: Post by Bossman »

I have watched a few videos for making proper lattes. I was surprised that the videos I watched were saying 12oz is the proper size cup for a latte with just 1 double shot of espresso in it. How do you even taste the espresso with that much milk?

I usually make kind of a macchiato with one double espresso shot and about 2oz of steamed milk or I use an 7oz cup and use about 4-5oz milk with one double espresso shot and I call that a latte. I guess maybe I just prefer a stronger taste? I am using Redline espresso.

Peppersass

#2: Post by Peppersass »

If by "proper" you mean Italian, I don't believe such a thing exists because a latte in Italy is Moka-pot coffee poured into a cup with warm milk, similar to the French Cafe au Lait. It's served at home for breakfast, not at espresso bars.

The classic latte with foam milk, which is a Western (American?) invention, is a single or double shot with lightly steamed milk to fill an 8 oz cup. The milk-to-coffee ratio is greater than an Italian Cappucinno, which is usually prepared in a 5 oz cup, and the foam cap is considerably thinner (1/4 inch or less, versus about 1/3 of the cup volume.)

I believe the larger cup sizes were introduced by Starbucks and other chains -- super-sized lattes in 12oz, 16oz and 20oz. I believe the large milk-to-coffee ratio is one reason why they roast so dark. Even so, you can barely taste the coffee, especially after they add flavored syrups and the customer dumps in a ton of sugar. These confections bear little or no resemblance to the beverages discussed on this site.

happycat

#3: Post by happycat »

Bossman wrote:I have watched a few videos for making proper lattes. I was surprised that the videos I watched were saying 12oz is the proper size cup for a latte with just 1 double shot of espresso in it. How do you even taste the espresso with that much milk?

I usually make kind of a macchiato with one double espresso shot and about 2oz of steamed milk or I use an 7oz cup and use about 4-5oz milk with one double espresso shot and I call that a latte. I guess maybe I just prefer a stronger taste? I am using Redline espresso.
I believe the double shot + 2oz milk is a "cortado"... Which I like too :D

Macchiato is a drop of milk/foam on top of a shot
LMWDP #603

takeshi

#4: Post by takeshi »

Bossman wrote:How do you even taste the espresso with that much milk?
Just fine thank you. I think my pitcher is 12oz and I start with it about half full and after steaming it's not quite totally full.

If you prefer less then use less.
Peppersass wrote:I believe the larger cup sizes were introduced by Starbucks and other chains -- super-sized lattes in 12oz, 16oz and 20oz. I believe the large milk-to-coffee ratio is one reason why they roast so dark. Even so, you can barely taste the coffee, especially after they add flavored syrups and the customer dumps in a ton of sugar. These confections bear little or no resemblance to the beverages discussed on this site.
Now those I can't stand. They're extemely bland despite the dark roasting.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by emradguy »

Peppersass wrote:...Even so, you can barely taste the coffee, especially after they add flavored syrups and the customer dumps in a ton of sugar.
Thank G-d for that (talkin' *$$ here)! Though, I have to say I disagree. Even loaded with chocolate syrup and sugary things like caramel or hazelnut, I can still taste the ashes, especially in the finish.
Peppersass wrote:These confections bear little or no resemblance to the beverages discussed on this site.
Amen to that!

I agree with Don (takeshi), I can taste [good] coffee through milk in a "normal" latte.
LMWDP #748