Problem with the double basket and crema

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
larustica

#1: Post by larustica »

Dear

I currently use a Rancilio S27 1 group at this moment, thinking about renewing as this machine is quite old.

When I make an espresso +/-25ml in 25 seconds with freshly ground coffee I need to insert +/- 10/11grams of coffee instead of the normal +/-7.5/8 grams. The coffee comes out good and with excellent crema.

However using the double portafilter I get less crema and more water taste. How can this happen? I've already tried cleaning the portafilter with hot water mix with portafilter cleaning product.

And for both portafilters if I use +/- 7 or +/-14(double) of coffee, no matter how fine or coarse I grind it or the coffee doesnt come out, or way too fast, doesnt taste like coffee, is not good at all. And when removing the coffee from the portafilter it's all wet..

How can I resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance!!

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#2: Post by RapidCoffee »

The Rancilio S27 model is a classic commercial heat exchanger espresso machine, and is unlikely to be the cause of your problems. Lack of crema is typical of stale coffee, and overly fast pours are generally indicative of grinder issues. Is your coffee freshly roasted (no more than two weeks old)? Is your grinder capable of producing a good espresso grind? Let's eliminate these obvious candidates before talking about your espresso machine, single vs. double baskets, and dosing.
John

larustica (original poster)

#3: Post by larustica (original poster) replying to RapidCoffee »

I've tried several brands of coffee like Lavazza, Segafredo and Illy. Those brands really didn't taste well and just a little bit of crema, trying to adjust de grinding.

But now I'm using "Guglielmo" which I get from an Italian importer. I think they directly import from the company after they've roasted the beans.

The coffee is way better and if I fill the basket (+/-11 g - completely full) and then press it not too hard and not too soft, I get lovely crema. The taste on the other hand is sometimes really lovely, and sometimes not that good.

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#4: Post by RapidCoffee »

larustica wrote:I've tried several brands of coffee like Lavazza, Segafredo and Illy. Those brands really didn't taste well and just a little bit of crema, trying to adjust de grinding.

But now I'm using "Guglielmo" which I get from an Italian importer. I think they directly import from the company after they've roasted the beans.
Unless the coffee has a "roasted on" date within the last two weeks, you are almost certainly using stale coffee.

What is your grinder?
John

ethiopie

#5: Post by ethiopie replying to RapidCoffee »

I would look at your grinder too.
Even with Lavazza, Illy, Segafredo etc. you should be able to avoid a watery taste and get lots of crema. Some of the Lavazzas are real crema bombs. The only things you need are a decent grinder and a minimum of technique (if your machine works properly ...).
Last weekend I bought a kilo bag of Italian espresso beans. Price: 6 euro. Yes, that's six euro. No roast date. I wouldn't dare to offer a cup to a member of home-barista.com. But no problems with crema or a watery taste. Quite tot the contrary: most of the people who tried it, complained that the taste wasn't watery enough :D. A true Italian comfort blend, so to speak.

larustica (original poster)

#6: Post by larustica (original poster) »

This is the grinder I use

stefano65
Sponsor

#7: Post by stefano65 »

try grinding until you choke the pour,
then one notch at the time go coarser untill you get the perfect shot around 20sec or so
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

HB
Admin

#8: Post by HB »

This may also be helpful: Newbie Introduction to Espresso - Grinders. It includes tips on dialing in a grinder by feel. It may confirm/refute that your coffee is stale.
Dan Kehn