Problem getting perfect microfoam without any air bubbles

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Séb

#1: Post by Séb »

Hi everyone,

Since I have my espresso machine (around one year i think) i have a very hard time to get perfect microfoam with no visible air bubbles. I am trying mostly and simply to understand why? My machine is a commercial single group spring lever. Salvatore compact spring lever. It use a single boiler that is set by default at 1.3 bar. That mean it will iddle from 1-1.3 bar. I see no difference between steaming at 1 bar or 1.3 bar. I know i could increase the boiler pressure a little but my espresso temperature is perfect so ideally i'd like to keep it as it is and also, i do not think that this is the source of my problem. Here is what i did so far:

- Tried with various % of milk fat from 0% to 3.25%. Currently use 2%.
- Tried with the no burn teflon insert and without. Currently do not use it as it help a bit
- Tried various shape of frothing pitcher and size. Currently use mostly Espro 12oz
- Tried the 2 and 4 holes steaming tips. Currently use the two holes tips as it is better/easier for small volume
- Tried various brand of milk and i use the one that gives me the best results.

Now, note that i can get perfect microfoam on any quality machine that i have tried so far. And i can get perfect microfoam on a Londinium L2 and L1. The L1 is very similar but use a smaller and horizontal boiler of 2.3L but also set at 1.3 bar. The Salvatore use a vertical 4L boiler. So both machines are very similar.

I am wondering if it could be the steaming tips, the steaming wand (no burn type without the Teflon insert) or something else? The tips on the Salvatore is 8mm male thread while it is 10mm if memory is good on the Londinium. One thing for sure, i can't exchange them as they do not fit. As soon as i can, i will check to see if i could exchange the whole steam wand with the Londinium and i will order one if it fix the problem.

I am leaving home for two weeks so i will not be able to try any suggestions but at least i want to get some ideas from the group and i will for sure try anything that make sense once i come back. Here is a typical picture of the tiny bubbles i get:

Beezer

#2: Post by Beezer »

Getting great microfoam should be almost a no-brainer on a commercial machine with a 4 liter boiler like you describe. It's possible that it's something wrong with the steam wand or tip, but more likely a technique problem. You say you've gotten great microfoam on other machines, but maybe you need to tweak your technique a bit for the personality of this particular machine. It would help to post a video of your steaming technique so we can see if there's some obvious problem.
Lock and load!

PhotoMax

#3: Post by PhotoMax »

One simple thing to do would be to make sure that there is no blockage in the steam tip? I used to have to regularly clean the three hole tip on My Silvia with a push pin, etc...

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Nunas »

Hi,

It's hard to tell from just a photo, but I suspect you are over-stretching the milk or stretching beyond the proper temperature. If you use too little milk and try to stretch it to a full jug it can look like that. Also, if you try to stretch the milk for too long you can run into similar problems. So, try this: First, fill the jug to the bottom of the spout on the frothing jug. Then, pull the milk to double bulk but stop pulling at 25 degrees C. Don't worry if you have some bubbles like your photo. Now, lower the tip slightly into the jug just to the point where it does not suck in any more air (yes, I know that other instructions say to plunge it in deep). Keep the tip half way between the middle of the jug and the edge. You should get a vortex in the milk; slant the jug a little to strengthen the vortex. All or most of the bigger bubbles should be pulled down by the steam tip and disappear. Stop at 60 degrees C. If you want 'cap foam' like for cappuccino, do the pull more rapidly and stretch a little more at the beginning (but don't go beyond 25 degrees). If you want latte form stretch a bit less and set up the vortex a bit earlier.

As you're clearly experienced, perhaps you already know all this...just hoping that something in my technique will be helpful.

Séb (original poster)

#5: Post by Séb (original poster) »

PhotoMax wrote:One simple thing to do would be to make sure that there is no blockage in the steam tip? I used to have to regularly clean the three hole tip on My Silvia with a push pin, etc...
No, they are not blocked. I did remove many times the tips to switch from the 2 holes to the 4 holes and back again just to try various things and i check the holes for any blocking before. I will try to do a video of my technique.

_bm

#6: Post by _bm »

I have this kind of bubbles if the steam tip is not mounted air-tight. Use a rubber seal or wrap some teflon tape around the screw thread and everything should works fine.

Regards
BM

Séb (original poster)

#7: Post by Séb (original poster) replying to _bm »

This is a good suggestion! I will try that once i get back home

Séb (original poster)

#8: Post by Séb (original poster) »

Problem resolved!!

This morning my friend came with his steam wand from his Londinium L1. We switch them and now it is absolutely perfect every single time! Absolutely no tiny air bubble, velvety texture, much easier to pour latte art also and better mouthfeel. It was so frustrating for me to get perfect microfoam on any machine but never able to do better then 1/10 on my own machine. For a latte lover like my wife and I this was frustrating with an expensive "commercial" machine like this. So this is exactly what i tough, there is a problem with the steam wand....but WHAT? No idea, no leak, nothing that we can see. This is either a design related problem of this kind of steam wand or there is something wrong with mine. Let me tell you that if someday i can see an other Salvatore spring lever, i will try it for sure ;) I can't switch only the steam tip as the threads are not the same.

So i just put an order for the Londinium steam arm. Thanks for all the suggestions.