Powerful steam wand, small pitcher

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
c0ff33h4x0r

#1: Post by c0ff33h4x0r »

At my lab, we have a Nuova Simonelli Appia machine, which has this lever controlling the steam output and a 3 hole steam wand. I've been trying to make microfoam for lattes on it but I feel like the thing is just too powerful. The lever is spring loaded so it won't stay on unless either you hold it, or you turn it all the way on. It's difficult to steam one handed, so I've tried just cranking it all the way on, but our milk pitchers are pretty small and it basically seems like the milk is going to fly out of the pitcher. It also heats up very very fast at that level, leaving very little room for error. Half the time I end up with very hot milk and almost no foam, other half of the time I've got cappuccino foam.

My main question is about that lever. Should I be trying to hold the lever half on to lower the steam output, or should I get a bigger pitcher, or should I have it on full blast and just learn to work quickly before my milk boils and angle the wand just right so the milk doesn't jump out of the pitcher?

I've been doing OK with the Silvia steam wand on my Gaggia Classic at home, but I have one of those toroid pitchers that helps and the steaming takes much longer because the wand isn't such a beast.

Gus

#2: Post by Gus »

Is sourcing a different tip not an option? This could lower steam output with the lever in the full on position.
Gus

Insert catchy phrase of choice here

Advertisement
c0ff33h4x0r (original poster)

#3: Post by c0ff33h4x0r (original poster) replying to Gus »

Hmm. I hadn't thought of that. If it's easy to just unscrew the tip and screw in a new tip, that's an option. It's a communal machine so I can't do something like go in with a wrench and replace the whole wand without probably going through a lot of red tape. But if the tip just unscrews from the wand and is easily reattached, maybe I can give that a try.

Gus

#4: Post by Gus »

Yes, it should just unscrew.

There are vendors listed on the resources page, like Espresso Parts, that carry a variety of tips. Just make sure you speak with a sales rep to ensure you get one that will fit, and is different (smaller, fewer holes) than the one you already have.

Good luck!
Gus

Insert catchy phrase of choice here

c0ff33h4x0r (original poster)

#5: Post by c0ff33h4x0r (original poster) »

Thanks! I just did some searching and in fact found others who say the 3 hole on the NS is difficult to control, and further claim that a one hole tip helped to produce finer foam. Now on to find a tip and try it out.

David R.

#6: Post by David R. »

To test different steaming possibilities you can stuff steam tip holes with round toothpicks. Stick in the toothpick, break it off a little below the hole (you want to leave enough out so that you can grab it with pliers).

You might find this old page of mine interesting.
David R.

da gino

#7: Post by da gino »

Unless you are doing tiny pitchers, I think the best advice is just to practice more. It does take some time to get used to steaming 3-4 oz of milk on a powerful steam wand, but once you get used to it you won't want to go back. Search for the soap and water trick so you can learn to practice for free. (You steam water with a drop of dish soap for practice). If you can spend a solid block of time doing one pitcher after the next you'll probably find you make rapid progress.

I don't know if the average person could learn to steam just enough for a Macchiato (say 1 oz of milk) on a super powerful machine though. I do swap out tips if I want to do that personally (or more likely steam a little extra milk and waste a little bit since I don't make them very often).

Advertisement
Bossman

#8: Post by Bossman »

I am having the same issue with my Mini V2. I steam 3-4oz usually but even upped that to about 5-6oz and still having trouble. I have learned that I do enjoy cappas though lol, as that is usually what I end up with instead of microfoam. Mine has the 4 hole tip.

DanoM

#9: Post by DanoM »

When I purchased my NS Oscar I had problems with the steam wand too. 1/2 cup of milk in a pitcher with alot of steam means you are working very fast. I can usually steam this milk in about 8 seconds, or 10 seconds if I'm careful. Coming from a La Pavoni, which makes beautiful, creamy, silky foam in about 22 seconds for the same volume it was very hard to adjust.

After about 1 month of using the Oscar I got pretty good. I have the original 4 hole tip and like it. Slap it in the middle of the pitcher, shallow, steam on high, I've got about 2-3 seconds to get most of the air into the milk and the rest of the time (5 seconds) is smoothing, rolling and heating that milk. It's almost too fast, but it works quite well.

Technique is very different from what you would use on a smaller machine, but with a bit of use you'll make great milk even with the original tips. FAST TOO!
LMWDP #445

DanSF

#10: Post by DanSF »

I used the toothpick trick for many years before biting the bullet, running through gobs of milk (and soapy water), and getting comfortable with much more steam intensity. Coming from a Cremina, it did seem impossible/inconceivable that a small pitcher of microfoam could be made _that_ fast with any control or consistency. De-powering by whatever means (toothpicks nozzles half-opened valves) is fine of course but I'd encourage you to try to catch up with your machine.