Post a video of your espresso making technique - Page 5

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
JonR10

#41: Post by JonR10 »

da gino wrote:I think the key to simplifying the steps is indeed careful attention to distribution. I always want to produce the best cup I can and then only after that in the simplest/fastest way.
Beautifully simple and eloquent espresso wisdom, well said indeed.

Marshall wrote:Good to hear. I usually feel like a voice in the wilderness here.
Please don't feel that way Marshall. I'm not on HB as much as I am on CG, but I frequently see in the forums advice to new folks imploring them to seek out someone locally who is experienced and can help the new person climb the learning curve more quickly.

I don't pretend to be a pro in any way, but I almost always offer to have local new folks over to my place to learn a little about making espresso and/or roasting and of course to share some coffee drinks. Even though my style may not be as simple or elegant as a professional trainer, I find that people often learn much faster when they get some firsthand help.

As for my own personal experience - the afternoon I got to spend at a barista jam here in Houston with Ellie Hudson-Matuszak was a HUGE benefit to me, I learned things that I may never have seen if I'd only had online forums as my sole resources .... 8)
Jon Rosenthal
Houston, Texas

Marshall

#42: Post by Marshall »

JonR10 wrote:As for my own personal experience - the afternoon I got to spend at a barista jam here in Houston with Ellie Hudson-Matuszak was a HUGE benefit to me, I learned things that I may never have seen if I'd only had online forums as my sole resources .... 8)
In case you hadn't heard, Ellie has become the "Trainer of Trainers," in charge of developing all of SCAA's training programs. Beginning this past year, under her initiative, SCAA trainers even have to be trained themselves in adult education techniques. (Including old-hand business lecturers, like me.)
Marshall
Los Angeles

benm5678 (original poster)

#43: Post by benm5678 (original poster) »

Thank you Nicholas,

I visited Kaldi's once. The shot was sour. I was kinda assuming since they are not on the level people refer to here as high end or '3rd wave' espresso. But given your experience, I'll try the Clayton location... and give the original one another chance too.

I will definitely check out the event you mentioned! Who knew?!? Coffee competition in STL... Nice! This is exactly what I need to advance further, to experience espresso along with others. My only measure so far of where I am in, has been the leaps in quality and "ah-ha" moments that lead you to relate more to the way others' here describe high end espresso.

Marshall

#44: Post by Marshall »

benm5678 wrote:I will definitely check out the event you mentioned! Who knew?!? Coffee competition in STL... Nice! This is exactly what I need to advance further, to experience espresso along with others. My only measure so far of where I am in, has been the leaps in quality and "ah-ha" moments that lead you to relate more to the way others' here describe high end espresso.
I should mention that many of, if not all, the regional barista championships (and the USBC) feature a free espresso bar for the audience, where top baristas and roasters show off their stuff.
Marshall
Los Angeles

benm5678 (original poster)

#45: Post by benm5678 (original poster) »

Marshall wrote:feature a free espresso bar for the audience
Audience?!? I'm gold-plating my WDT tools and going to compete!!

haha... kiddin' -- this is perfect, I'm marking my calendar... they may need a limit per person after I show up ;)

cannonfodder
Team HB

#46: Post by cannonfodder »

I had a video of me pulling a shot but when I went to google to find it, it tells me the video is currently unavailable. It was a couple years old anyway and a lot changes in a couple years. I will try to do another if I have a moment. I am quite the opposite, half pound of beans in the hopper, turn on the grinder, thwack, thwack away turn it off. Level, light tamp, flush, pull the shot. About 50 seconds from grinder on to gulp.
There was a thread a couple years ago with some similar videos which is why I did that one. Something to do with how long does it take you to make a shot. I will do a little data mining and see if I can find that old thread.

Getting a little professional training is not a bad thing. You can learn a lot in a very short time form a pro. That is not to say every trick a pro barista uses translates well to the home environment. I can personally relate to hands on time with a pro shorting the learning curve. When I am working on a new wood working technique, say hollow form turning, I can watch videos and read article on it. Eventually I will get the hang of it but if I swing by the local wood shop and talk to the turning expert that has been doing it for years I learn more faster cutting that learning curve in half.

You have a very good shop in your area, Barry has already been mentioned. If you call them, they may even let you stop by for a little watch and learn. I use to go to some of the well known shops, order a drink and just stand at the end of the counter and watch. You can pick up a lot from just that. Strike up a conversation with the barista when they are not busy and they will probably be happy to give you some pointers. I have even had them let me go behind the bar and get a little impromptu instruction and pull a few shots on the equipment.
Dave Stephens

cannonfodder
Team HB

#47: Post by cannonfodder »

Dave Stephens

Marshall

#48: Post by Marshall »

shadowfax wrote:Beyond that, I think you should definitely plan on checking out the South Central Regional Barista Championship that's going to be in St. Louis at the end of March this year. There will be a lot of great coffee people there!
Nicholas, you might be interested to know that Intelligentsia poached Tyler Wells, the #3 finisher last year, to manage their new Pasadena shop.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Randy G.

#49: Post by Randy G. »

doubleOsoul wrote:Ah... reviewed something of his back in my blues magazine days - maybe through the Bros label...can't recollect exactly.
Okay... enough OT.
Well, anyone dropping by the Hottop booth in Houston just has to ask, and I am glad to whup out a harp and blow a few bars!

In regards to the video - There is a lot of simplicity that can be had. If you really feel the need to sift, why not grind right into the sifter - that is, leave the sifter screen in place and put the PF below it instead of a cup. That's a start. Watching that, my first thought was that I am glad I have a doser grinder! The grind seemed so even that the WDT is unnecessary, IMO. When dosing into the PF, try to move it around and sift slower so that you can have better distribution to begin with. Definitely worth practicing.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

tekomino

#50: Post by tekomino »

Alright here is my usual routine pretty much (HD available as well :D ):
It takes little less time to perform when you are not doing a video shoot, but I would be hard pressed to take steps out of it. I also don't see how professional trainer would help me improve anything.

I think that espresso technique is fairly simple and you can learn it easily with some practice. Much, much harder is to train your palate, so you can actually taste the shot. Another obstacle is equipment. Lot of the time we end up adding steps to the routine to compensate for equipment drawbacks.

Espresso in this video came out great. Nutty, balanced acidity (but very little of it) and buttery smooth. RedBird Espresso classic flavor profile I would say. I used 18 grams of espresso and as you can see I weigh input and output as I have explained in Digital espresso or a way to consistency

Hope this helps.