Pete Licata's cappuccinos at the WBC

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
jontyc

#1: Post by jontyc »

Looking at around the 11 minute mark in the vid below, the foam layer seems quite thin. Are these 'wet caps'?

What distinguishes them from lattes?

<missing video>

For easier reference, here's the frame in question:

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by uscfroadie »

jontyc wrote:What distinguishes them from lattes?
The milk/espresso ratio. Cappuccinos are ~2:1 up to about 3:1, whereas a latte is ~4:1 up to about 6:1. 5-6 oz cup will be used for a standard cappuccino, with an 8-12 oz being the latte cup.
Merle

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

The judge is drawing back the foam to check its depth and consistency. I agree that the foam is a little on the thin side (around 3/4" is typical), but judging by how well it reflows, the consistency is good. SCAA barista competition rules including subjective terms like "harmonious balance" to avoid being overly proscriptive about espresso to milk ratios:
WBC sensory score sheet - Part II - Cappuccino Evaluation wrote:Visually correct cappuccino (traditional or latte art)
Consistency and persistence of foam
Flavour (served at an acceptable temperature, a harmonious balance of rich sweet milk/espresso)
Functional and correct cappuccino vessel used
It's noteworthy that the score flavor score is double the sum of the two foam-related scores. Returning to the original question, a latte has a wispy-thin layer of foam and more milk than a cappuccino. The predominant flavor is milk, milk, milk... oh, and coffee. For a traditional cappuccino, the predominant flavor is coffee with milk.
Dan Kehn

jontyc (original poster)

#4: Post by jontyc (original poster) »

Ah I see. I think I've been making caps then all this time, not lattes, using 18 g coffee for 27 g in a single 6 oz cup.

Locally our flat white has the whispy thin layer, a latte more like what Pete did and a cap around the 3/4".

Pete mentioned he's using 22 g coffee for 35 g in the cups. Would that be 35 g total in both cups, or in each cup, as both seem to fall in Andy's ristretto range?

MWJB

#5: Post by MWJB »

jontyc wrote:
Pete mentioned he's using 22 g coffee for 35 g in the cups. Would that be 35 g total in both cups, or in each cup, as both seem to fall in Andy's ristretto range?
22/35 = 63%/1.6:1 brew ratio, it's a pretty common ratio for "espresso". Nowadays, the term "ristretto", would indicate something somewhat shorter to most folk. However longer espressos seem to be making something of a come back...so who knows what we'll call it next week :wink: .

Brew ratios are a less ambiguous way of conveying dose vs output.

homeburrero
Team HB

#6: Post by homeburrero »

jontyc wrote:Are these 'wet caps'?
I see that no-one has offered an opinion on that. My take on the term 'wet cap' is that it's used to avoid the 'drink of thirds' cappuccino that has a thick layer of airy foam covering the top of the drink. Many people expect that and so cafes here tend to make the very foamy drink if you just order a cappuccino and not a wet cap. So if that's the case then I think that all those SCAA competition caps would classify as wet caps.

P.S.
I used to order small lattes when in an unfamiliar bar here in the US as a way to get microfoam rather than suds, but lately I've taken to ordering flat whites. Even in the boonies of the Southwest US, baristas seem to know what that is, plus somehow it seems friendlier and less pretentious than ordering a wet cappuccino. (Australians do seem like a friendly and unpretentious lot.)
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

another_jim
Team HB

#7: Post by another_jim »

There's always been an ambiguity about this.

For some a latte is a larger milk drink (12 plus ounces) than a cappa (4 to 8 ounces)

For others, a latte is a drink with a thin foam poured in a pattern, and a cappa a drink with a thick foam poured in a cap.

The WBC specifies 5 to 6 ounce cappas, but allows either thicker or thinner foam; so I guess they belong in the first camp. I think most of us coffee enthusiasts don't drink larger milk drinks, so the second definition may be more useful for us.
Jim Schulman

jontyc (original poster)

#8: Post by jontyc (original poster) »

MWJB wrote:22/35 = 63%/1.6:1 brew ratio, it's a pretty common ratio for "espresso". Nowadays, the term "ristretto", would indicate something somewhat shorter to most folk. However longer espressos seem to be making something of a come back...so who knows what we'll call it next week :wink: .

Brew ratios are a less ambiguous way of conveying dose vs output.
I just realized 22 g split into 35 g in each cup would have been a 70 g lungo, 31.5% brew ratio, simply divided into two cups. I'm guessing that would have been too weak to use as the base for a milk drink.

jontyc (original poster)

#9: Post by jontyc (original poster) »

another_jim wrote:There's always been an ambiguity about this.

For some a latte is a larger milk drink (12 plus ounces) than a cappa (4 to 8 ounces)

For others, a latte is a drink with a thin foam poured in a pattern, and a cappa a drink with a thick foam poured in a cap.

The WBC specifies 5 to 6 ounce cappas, but allows either thicker or thinner foam; so I guess they belong in the first camp. I think most of us coffee enthusiasts don't drink larger milk drinks, so the second definition may be more useful for us.
The cappas that have around 3/4" of foam, is it possible to have that foam velvety and dense microfoam, or does the air required always lead to that less dense, bubbly stuff I always seem to get served?

jonny

#10: Post by jonny replying to jontyc »

Absolutely! It may take a little more skill because you need to stretch a little more with a smaller volume (less time). Also I have heard (and I'd have to agree), if your cappuccino milk is steamed appropriately, you should not be able to manage anything more than a heart as far as latte art goes. These days, it seems that a cappuccino has evolved into more of a extra small latte. Just about anytime I order a latte from a respectable shop, what I get is a 5-6 oz latte, which is fine because it's primarily about the taste.