Pergtamp with VST in the Bezzera Strega

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

A few weeks ago I decided to try to get better shots. I updated my setup to:

Bezzera Strega
Compak K10 w/Doser
VST 18 gram basket
Pullman Pergtamp

New shot routine:

Weigh, grind, dose 18 grams of beans into the VST basket, NSEW level.

Nutating tamp with Pergtamp, light downwards tamp, no pressure polish. The Pergtamp in the VST is the cleanest tightest basket I've ever setup.

Pull the Strega lever and and purge the HX, leave the lever down but slightly shifted to stop the pump. When there is a pause in any water dripping, lock in the PF and then shift the lever to get the pump switch to engage and start filling the group. The is a very short simple process that takes longer to write out than to do. I read this process in another post as a way to possibly prevent the puck from lifting up when the lever is pulled, as air is pulled in from under the puck (so I have I read).

Once the group fills and the vibe dies down, I again shift the lever slightly to kill the pump. I wait and watch the underside of the basket until I see the full surface wet and dripping coffee. Finally, I raise the lever slowly until meeting resistance and let the shot flow. The preinfusion may last 10 seconds or more. The shots flow very nicely, with a central cone coming off the basket and a steady narrow stream.

I am getting excellent shots with this routine, basically a collection of techniques I've read in other HB posts. I suddenly changed too many variables to know which one is making the most difference, but I'm liking the results. The Pergtamp is very expensive for a tamper, but it's the first one I have bought in a long time, it is very well made tamper. It's also my first time to use a VST at home with the Strega, I was happy it seems to perform well as I have seen so many hit and miss reviews from other users.

I'm now just wondering, how would these shots taste when ground in an EK43.....I just feel compelled to give it a try! I will first need a new longer work bench....
LMWDP #371

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

Glad someone here bit the bullet and lived to tell the tale. Thanks for the write-up.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272