Paper filtered espresso - forgives bad barista skills/equipment?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
achipman

#1: Post by achipman »

Hi all,

I've read up on the topics of paper filtering espresso for various reasons and to achieve various results. I read that some thought it may have reduced channeling, etc. This leads me to believe that it could possibly allow for some forgiveness of a barista's skills and equipment... However, I couldn't find any mention of confirmed increase in pressure in the basket. The reason this interests me is twofold:

1. I have a cheaper conical burr grinder and can't quite afford to upgrade yet. If there is increased pressure in the basket, would it compensate for my grinder not being able to grind quite fine enough or consistently? If I up-dose a lot, I can hit the proper time for a pour.... but I want to experience smaller doses (without gushing 3 oz in 10 secs! :P :oops: )

2. I also have some problems with channeling and spritzes... I've always assumed this was due to inconsistent grind or possibly too coarse of grind. Could also be due to distribution technique. Would paper filtering help correct cover my mistakes?

Can I delay upgrading for a little while longer? :|

Thanks,

Andrew
"Another coffee thing??? I can't keep up with you... next you'll be growing coffee in our back yard." - My wife

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#2: Post by RapidCoffee »

Have you tried this yet? I did, several years ago (see here), and did not notice any dramatic changes in flow. But it's been a while, and you might get different results with different brands of filter paper.

Incidentally, there is already a well-known device for impeding flow through the puck: the pressurized portafilter (or double walled filter basket), designed to allow the use of preground coffee in espresso machines. The results in the cup are questionable, to put it mildly.
John

achipman (original poster)

#3: Post by achipman (original poster) replying to RapidCoffee »

I haven't tried it yet... (waiting for some fresh coffee)

I think you're right though. It probably won't impact flow rate, but I wonder how it will affect the other issues I'm having with my current grinder not being able to grind fine enough. I'll post when I get a chance to try it. It'll be this afternoon most likely.
"Another coffee thing??? I can't keep up with you... next you'll be growing coffee in our back yard." - My wife

#4: Post by achipman (original poster) »

I tried it and the results were actually worse than any of my other attempts... (big surprise right? :roll: )

The flow rate was unchanged but the appearance was almost as if it blonded in 2 seconds... The color actually looked normal at the beginning and end of the shot.. Middle was all washed out looking.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

How did it taste?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#6: Post by achipman (original poster) replying to yakster »

Can't believe I forgot to detail that.. must have been too caffeinated when I wrote! :D

The taste was terrible... not saying any of my other shots have been good, but

Here's my dilemma...

If I dose per recommended guidelines for a double basket, level and tamp with about the right pressure (using the Espro calibrated tamper), polish etc etc... I get a water facet with brown coloring added...

If I updose to a concerning SHOCKING :shock: dose of 20-22, the flow/beverage weight/color/crema looks "right"... tiger striping, etc... but then it tastes overwhelmingly sour just like Jim's guides said it would..

I'm at the finest grind possible on my grinder, so I guess that's the issue.

Without a better grinder right now.. (trying to get my hands on a HG One) I was searching out other (temporary) options...