OK, my mind has been blown - Tim Wendelboe on espresso [video]

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#1: Post by baldheadracing »

Probably not a lot new for a lot of people, but for inexperienced folks like me, he has brought together a lot of concepts and explains them without being judgemental about other approaches - for example, the two grinders he uses are a Robur single phase retrofitted with 83 mm burrs, and an EK43 ; VST baskets, but he found no advantage using the PergTamp ...

Periscope Q'n'A, 40 minutes. Part 3. Part 1 was on roasting, discussed here: Coffee Roasting Q&A with Tim Wendelboe Part 2 was on brewing, with an emphasis on Aeropress.
0:36 intro
0:51 espresso machine and grinders
1:34 Malkonig Peak
2:09 Espresso defined
2:46 Roasting for espresso
3:31 back to machines, pressure, extraction
4:36 Water temperature
5:20 Filter baskets
5:46 overdosing and underextraction
6:34 VST baskets
7:06 Grinders and extraction
7:34 Refractometer
7:51 Tampers
8:42 Cups; how they have changed over the years (now and then tasting)
10:21 Paper cups
11:06 Brew recipes
12:11 Demo, portafilters
12:51 Grinding and distribution
14:51 Tamping
16:06 Pulling shot
17:01 VST Refractometer
18:11 Extraction
18:31 Puckology
19:31 Taste
20:06 Extraction time, percentage
21:36 Water
21:56 Make a bad shot
24:39 Channeling, the most common problem
25:38 Ideal extraction rate, EK vs. Robur
28:04 Cleaning
29:51 Extraction affects - popcorning, keeping beanhopper full
31:16 Beginner advice, grinder, machine, scales, VST baskets
34:46 Resting after roasting
35:26 His roasts
37:18 Now and then tasting (2010 espresso vs. SO)
39:35 End
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

aecletec

#2: Post by aecletec »

It's nice to see pros using techniques pioneered by the amateurs ;)

brianl

#3: Post by brianl »

I always try to go to the epnw HQ baskets but all the glowing recommendations for vst keep making me cone back. I might fuss with the tamper too much trying to get it level. Slightly nudging it and stuff after it seats in the basket. Might need to just go straight in.

leon

#4: Post by leon »

I don't do espresso, but through that video I found the one on brewing, and really enjoying it. Thanks!

aecletec

#5: Post by aecletec »

I've used a lot of different cups/glasses but the wider mouth cup does work pretty well... good tip.

Randy G.

#6: Post by Randy G. »

We live in a "wide screen" world, no? Why are we seeing so many (let alone ANY!) smart phone videos done in portrait mode? It is like the people taking the videos have never seen a wide screen display. Ya, the phone is easier to hold in portrait and that is how is used.... TO MAKE A PHONE CALL! I wanted to watch it... Just couldn't.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#7: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) replying to Randy G. »

Just listen, then :D . The three vids so far (Roasting, Brewing, Espresso) can be treated as podcasts - as opposed to his older content on Vimeo - which, as an aside, is oriented properly.

It is all Apple's fault - and I'm not being facetious. Just look at how many sideways pics show up on post-a-pic threads ...
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

yakster
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster »

Periscope, the app used to share these videos, hasn't released landscape mode yet (as far as I know, my phone is old enough that it doesn't support Periscope so I wait for the Youtube version).
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

chris_n

#9: Post by chris_n »

Randy G. wrote:We live in a "wide screen" world, no? Why are we seeing so many (let alone ANY!) smart phone videos done in portrait mode? It is like the people taking the videos have never seen a wide screen display. Ya, the phone is easier to hold in portrait and that is how is used.... TO MAKE A PHONE CALL! I wanted to watch it... Just couldn't.

periscope, the platform that these interactive Q&As are distributed, is designed for use on phones in REAL TIME hence portrait orientation. the youtube archive is for reference and really isn't the aim of periscope as it is not realtime and non-interactive.

Randy G.

#10: Post by Randy G. »

chris_n wrote:periscope, the platform that these interactive Q&As are distributed is designed for use on phones in REAL TIME hence portrait orientation. the youtube archive is for reference and really isn't the aim of periscope as it is not realtime and non-interactive.
Am I showing my age, ignorance, both, or other? Don't all smartphones automatically align to landscape when rotated in that direction (not only when recording but also in playback/viewing modes)? The two we have do so. In ten years will all our movie theaters be built with tall, narrow screens? :Cinema 48! Open now- Fourty-eight theaters, each seating 28 people." :wink:
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done