No milk waste home macchiato

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Compass Coffee

#1: Post by Compass Coffee »

Here's my first attempt at making one zero milk waste macchiato using ~1oz milk steamed in 3oz SS pitcher. Double shot using LM standard ridged was pulled into 3oz demi. (Hairbender pulled at 201f HX hump 199f main shot, part of last weekends NWRBC swag. :wink: )

Pulled shot next to steamed milk. Didn't open steam valve all the way, Bric' @ 1bar pressure, EPNW 2-hole tip. (Virtually identical to Gold Pro 2-hole)

Milk poured. Note the empty milk pitcher! Pour art, poor art! :oops:

For first mini pitcher steaming attempt not too bad but should have stretched the milk more. Ran a demi spoon through from the edge to center and very weak and thin. But hey, sure tasted good! :wink:
Mike McGinness

LeoZ

#2: Post by LeoZ »

only reason i dont use all the milk in a pitcher is b/c the last bit always seems to be a bit too watery. i dont think im breaking the bank by tossing a couple oz out. lol. :)

Compass Coffee (original poster)

#3: Post by Compass Coffee (original poster) replying to LeoZ »

Not really an issue of breaking the bank, but the challenge of decently steaming a whopping 1oz of milk at a time! :lol:
Mike McGinness

LeoZ

#4: Post by LeoZ »

Compass Coffee wrote:Not really an issue of breaking the bank, but the challenge of decently steaming a whopping 1oz of milk at a time! :lol:
ya, i figured that part. :)
like i said though, whether its 1oz or 6oz, theres always some watery stuff left on the bottom for me. :(

#5: Post by Compass Coffee (original poster) replying to LeoZ »

Do you bleed the steam wand before steaming every time to purge condensed accumulated water?
Mike McGinness

LeoZ

#6: Post by LeoZ »

Compass Coffee wrote:Do you bleed the steam wand before steaming every time to purge condensed accumulated water?
until its bone dry! i just wind up boiling the milk if its in there too long.

#7: Post by Compass Coffee (original poster) »

LeoZ wrote: i just wind up boiling the milk if its in there too long.
Should be able to make dry foam (if dry foam requested/desired) by 160f, way way before boiling! Sounds like a stretching/air injecting technique problem.
Mike McGinness

luca
Team HB

#8: Post by luca »

Hahaha ... that's AWESOME!

Today I was doing some baristarising for a catering function and I actually bought my own jugs ... all that the caterers had was 1L jugs! It was pretty funny, actually; I asked if they had any smaller jugs and they said no, because they get "busy" ... funny, because I have worked in proper cafes that are actually busy and I've never used anything larger than a 600mL jug. So I responded "hang around for five minutes and watch people dribble up to me and order one cup at a time." First person came up and asked for three cappuccini, which made the caterer laugh. Then they said "one with regular milk, one with low fat and one with soy," which prompted me to smile and pull out a 12oz jug to show the caterer! Anyhoo, steaming 6oz of milk on a three group Faema was pretty fast. I could get the shot running, walk off to get some milk, fill the jug, come back, steam the milk, purge and wipe the wand and then stop the shot manually! Schweeeeeet!

Sorry about the digression - had heaps of fun!

Cheers,

Luca
LMWDP #034 | 2011: Q Exam, WBrC #3, Aus Cup Tasting #1 | Insta: @lucacoffeenotes

LeoZ

#9: Post by LeoZ »

Compass Coffee wrote:Should be able to make dry foam (if dry foam requested/desired) by 160f, way way before boiling! Sounds like a stretching/air injecting technique problem.
i can get to 160, but anything after that and the milk tastes funny. im sure its technique, but at least everything else in the cup is perfect!

Ozark_61

#10: Post by Ozark_61 »

I find it's helpful to get a good angle on the pitcher too to help froth the milk - that gives you a little more depth on the volume of milk. If you have it flat, it's too shallow. I just had a hairbender mach earlier this evening also - good stuff! But... I had pretty art on it :P but... still had to throw out the last 0.2 oz... so you win..

Geoff