Nitrogen cold brew technique?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
CelliniEVO

#1: Post by CelliniEVO »

My brother in Manhattan says a lot of people are raving about the nitro cold brew that Stumptown recently starting doing. Living right near LeftHand Brewery which is famous for their nitro Milk Stout, I HAVE to try doing this at home! Does anyone know Stumptowns technique? I've been drinking a lot of Toddy Cold Brew this summer and basically just need to know how much the nitrogen will dilute the end product?
I figure I could buy a 5 gallon firkin keg and fill it with cold-brew and pull via nitrogen pretty easily. Was thinking of diluting the concentrate with twice the amount of water and think the nitrogen would thin it out to a good ratio....any thoughts?

endlesscycles

#2: Post by endlesscycles »

I didn't think the nitro was for anything but pushing the cold brew out of the keg without having flavor degrade over time.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

CelliniEVO (original poster)

#3: Post by CelliniEVO (original poster) »

No experience with kegs, but figured that the creamy mouthfeel nitro gives to beer that it would thin out the taste of the coffee a tad.....could be completely off tho

Eastsideloco

#4: Post by Eastsideloco »

Cuvée Coffee is doing this locally in Austin. Here's a video with pretty pictures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB1KHr_pL04

I had a sample when this retail location opened, but can't really comment on the taste. It's been more that a year since I tried it. (The main thing I recall from that visit was having a lovely SO central american espresso.)

This Prima Coffee blog has some interesting info on the subject, along with some quotes from Lorenzo at Cuvée:

http://prima-coffee.com/blog/what-every ... fKiHGR5rgQ

It does sound like the primary role of the nitrogen storage is to preserve flavors in an oxygen-free environment. Plus it makes for a pretty pour. It looks like a nitrogen-tapped stout in the cup.