Newbie needs help with new Gaggia Baby Class.

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
zgoettsc

#1: Post by zgoettsc »

Newbie here.

Just received my Gaggia Baby Class today. I have never steamed milk before, much less pulled a shot of espresso.

To me, it seems as if there is not enough steam power to steam the milk on this machine. It takes forever just to warm the milk. Could be the Pannerello wand isn't the best? I don't know. Has anyone had experience steaming on this machine? Also, any tips on how to get a good microfoam?

Also, unrelated to steaming, here are two photos showing the filters that came with the machine. Which one is used as a single shot and which is for a double shot? They all seem to be the same height... The directions only saw something about two filters, but you cant tell which is which on the diagram.

Do I fill the portafilter all the way up with grounds, level it off with my finger, and then tamp it? I was really frustrated today not being able to make good espresso or even foam milk. I feel like I have done nothing but watch videos on youtube about it for a week straight. I would really appreciate any advice anyone can give.

Thanks!

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

A1. I reviewed the Gaggia New Baby in 2011; I had good results with the Gaggia Latte Art-Style Pannarello Wand. It's been awhile, but I remember the stock pannarello was hard to work with.

A2. The two on the right are pressurized baskets used for stale, preground coffee. Throw them out. The leftmost one looks like a (normal) double basket. Your profile doesn't mention your grinder, but if you don't already have a good one, get one as advised in your other thread Entry level grinder options.

A3. Sure, a level strikeoff method works, that should yield around 14 to 16 grams. An accurate scale is even better. I demonstrate this in the video Newbie Introduction to Espresso - Grinders.

You mentioned you've seen a lot of videos. If you haven't seen them already, consider the HB series Newbie Introduction to Espresso. I created them precisely for people like yourself. :)
Dan Kehn

zgoettsc (original poster)

#3: Post by zgoettsc (original poster) »

Thank you for the info! I have updated my profile to reflect the equipment that I own.

One more question if you don't mind.

I know it is supposed to have a 3-way solenoid that is supposed to keep the puck dry after brewing. On my first couple of shots, I didn't not use the level off technique for the grounds and only put one scoop (1 tablespoon) into the filter. Those pucks came out a soggy mess. I then moved to the level off technique which filled to filter more and the puck came of dry (so dry that it didn't come out without using an instrument to scrape it out). Are these things normal? I have read that some of these machines come with a defective 3-way solenoid.

Thanks!

(Also, I ordered the latte art tip to see if it improves the steaming)- fingers crossed

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

Search is your friend. From the FAQ: Wet pucks. See Forum search tips for more self-help suggestions.
cafeIKE wrote:Finer grind and lower doses = wetter pucks. We tend to worry about the taste.
Dan Kehn