A new way to distribute: Sifdis

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Kirbyk8

#1: Post by Kirbyk8 »

Hey guys, I would like to share with you what my brothers and I have been working on. http://www.sifdis.com
We had the idea and built the Sifdis for ourselves so we could practically eliminate one more variable of our espresso making routine. We think it works quite well and would like to get more peoples feedback on it. If you would, take a look at the website and let us know what you think. Here's a little teaser

SlowRain

#2: Post by SlowRain »

Interesting. Lots of people use dosing funnels, so this could be a 2-in-1 product. The video shows everything very slowly. How fast can you go from grind to dosing to tamping? Is there any way to make it smaller/shorter? Also, is the material it's made out of food safe? Meaning, can it be used in a commercial environment?

Advertisement
Kirbyk8 (original poster)

#3: Post by Kirbyk8 (original poster) »

It takes about half a minute to distribute, so I'm not sure how to answer your question about how fast to go from grind to dose to tamp. It could be made shorter but then sometimes the coffee stacks up against the bottom of the screen. And frankly I do not know about food safeness, so... It could be possible to make it out of a material that is food safe if that is a issue

day

#4: Post by day »

I was just talking about this yesterday with someone. There was no 49mm option, so I briefly considered going to lowes to fabricate one, just to test it out for fun. Distribution is not a major hurdle for me but it sometimes shows up. Looks like a solid foundation to build on though.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

aecletec

#5: Post by aecletec »

It takes about 3 seconds to whisk in a funnel and remove... Personally I can't see this as an improved solution to the distribution problem.

happycat

#6: Post by happycat »

This puts into action a vague idea I've had rattling around... Nice work.

I would think a natural extension would be to have this on the grinder and doing its back and forth as the grinds come out.
LMWDP #603

h3yn0w

#7: Post by h3yn0w »

aecletec wrote:It takes about 3 seconds to whisk in a funnel and remove... Personally I can't see this as an improved solution to the distribution problem.
Would be nice to compare both with a tds meter.

Advertisement
ds

#8: Post by ds »

Nice idea. I think WDT with needle implement is still cheaper, faster with same results. But, I'd still buy this to try it out, if its not too expensive.

But name, you've got to change, sounds too much like Syphilis :mrgreen:

IMAWriter

#9: Post by IMAWriter »

h3yn0w wrote:Would be nice to compare both with a tds meter.
How about THIS novel idea...just TASTE a couple shots using the funnel/needle...as I do, and a couple shots using the device (Sift-this=Sifdis :lol: ). Visuals would be nice, but taste would be the clincher.

portamento

#10: Post by portamento »

I think it's cool. Using the rotating vanes to gently and evenly sift the coffee is a clever hack.
Ryan