Need help! My shots blonding early and are just terrible...

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
crobley

#1: Post by crobley »

I have had my Expobar Office Lever Plus for close to 2 months now and have yet to achieve a PERFECT shot. Thick cone tiger-stripping.
I've read the FAQs on this site. I've watched videos. I just dont know what else to do.

I adjust my grind till it starts pouring at 10 seconds but then blonds way too soon so I increase the dose and try again. Now it just drips and then goes blonde. The biggest issue I have is I NEVER get a THICK cone. Its always some sissy little thing. Finer, coarser, increase/decrease dose....I am out of ideas now.

Took this video this morning. Now this is an exceptionally BAD shot but a little information about it:
Sometimes I get a cone but it is typically this level of "thinness". Not a thick heavy cone ever.
22grams of beans I roasted last night.
I have been leveling off the grounds before I tamp but for this one I decided not to. Sometimes it works fine.
I am not sure the exact lbs of pressure of my tamp but I am confident its consistent (probably close to 40lbs).

thomas5267

#2: Post by thomas5267 »

I have an Expobar for 3 years and I have yet to achieve the perfect shot. I do have some advice.

Firstly, the distribution. Notice that there is a tilted mound in the center when you are dosing into the portafilter and there is a dead spot in the middle of the basket. I think the mound caused the deadspot but I could offer no proof. Try leveling off before you tamp and see if the shot improves. If you are a perfectionist like me, consider creating a ten minute ritual just to build the puck as close to perfection as it could get. :D (Honestly I think your distribution is horrible (no offense) but I am extremely picky about distribution so it is probably just me.)

Secondly, is your machine a heat exchanger? If so, I think you need to flush before you brew. I can't see the readings of the thermometer on my iPad so I couldn't tell you flushed it or not. If you don't flush, the water will be too hot and the espresso will taste bitter (supposedly). I usually find a shot brew with a too high temperature taste sharp and acrid. Read HX Love in FAQ (you probably have read it already) and watch the Newbie Introduction to Espresso -- Heat Exchanger video for more information on flushing.

Thirdly, are you using a triple basket? I think the dose is way too high for a double basket but it seems that you are not using the stock basket. The owner of the shop where I buy my coffee suggested 18g in the stock basket that comes with the machine.

Fourthly (does this word exists? :roll:), don't apply pressure when you twist the puck. It looks like you are applying pressure. I don't think polishing the puck, with or without pressure, affects the product but some may say it matters. I put this here anyway.

Hope this helps.

erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

On August 1, you said:
Just got off the phone with WLL. They are going to come pick this machine up and send me a new one.
Did this happen? If so, your grouphead temperature is still COLD.

While there are some techniques that can be used to brew beans roasted the "night before", generally it is best to wait a few days. A relatively even distribution of coffee in the basket prior to tamping serves to maintain a uniform density of coffee in the basket. Yes, it is an added step and yes, there are some cafes who "get by" without it BUT it can only help the shot be better.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

thomas5267

#4: Post by thomas5267 »

I increased the brightness of my iPad and I can see the reading of the thermometer now. It is 178 F if I read it correctly and it is definitely too cold. I think you should contact Whole Latte Love.

crobley (original poster)

#5: Post by crobley (original poster) »

thomas5267 wrote:I have an Expobar for 3 years and I have yet to achieve the perfect shot. I do have some advice.
Firstly, the distribution.
Good idea. I also will try to not twist and apply pressure.
thomas5267 wrote: Secondly, is your machine a heat exchanger?
Yes. I did a flush before I started the video.
thomas5267 wrote: Thirdly, are you using a triple basket?
Yes. Thanks for the advice!
erics wrote:On August 1, you said:
Did this happen? If so, your grouphead temperature is still COLD.

While there are some techniques that can be used to brew beans roasted the "night before", generally it is best to wait a few days. A relatively even distribution of coffee in the basket prior to tamping serves to maintain a uniform density of coffee in the basket. Yes, it is an added step and yes, there are some cafes who "get by" without it BUT it can only help the shot be better.
Hey Eric,
Yup, they sent me a new machine. When I get up in the morning the temp will usually read 193F. After I pull a shot it tends to not recover to that temp but instead cools to 170~. Boiler temp is at 1.1. You know how frustrated I was with my last machine and inconsistent temps so when I saw this machine behaving this way...i just have no clue.

Thanks for the input on the beans. I actually had a suspicion that my roasting is part of the problem.

So its looks like I should spend a little more time focusing on my distribution and tamping then.

weebit_nutty

#6: Post by weebit_nutty »

just a case of channeling.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

crobley wrote:I have had my Expobar Office Lever Plus for close to 2 months now and have yet to achieve a PERFECT shot...
For future reference, please avoid cross-posting your questions to this site. Why is cross-posting strongly discouraged? provides the rationale for this policy. Those following this thread may wish to read Cody's cross-post on CoffeeGeek here to avoid needlessly repeating what advice has already been provided. Thanks.
Dan Kehn

#8: Post by crobley (original poster) »

Whoops, sorry I didn't know that. I'll focus on this thread.

erics
Supporter ★

#9: Post by erics »

Increase the setting on the pstat such that the maximum pressure you ever see on the boiler pressure gage is 1.20 bar and we will take it from there.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#10: Post by crobley (original poster) »

Will do Eric,
Thanks buddy.