Need help! My shots blonding early and are just terrible... - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
crobley (original poster)

#21: Post by crobley (original poster) »

Hey guys,
Here is an updated video I just took. I definitely see a brief dead-spot in the pour but overall I feel like it was a pretty decent shot. I cut it off where it visibly looked blonde and started to get a bit thin. Was that the correct time?

Any other suggestions critiques would be great!

davebm

#22: Post by davebm »

Your pressage gauge on your machine looks to climb really slowly in the beginning as you start the shot.

Check your vibe pump for any air?

Advertisement
radudanutco

#23: Post by radudanutco »

what is the pressure with a blind filter basket? is it steady during pump on?
8 bar and rather high flow would require higher dose or finer grind;
the preinfusion of 10-12s seems ok for a vibe pump and E61;
IMO;

#24: Post by crobley (original poster) »

Hey guys.
Im actually experiencing something new with this machine. As you saw in that video the pressure gauge starts very low (around3-4) and sits there for a bit before climbing to like 8-9. However, the last couple times I've used it my shots have again been terrible. I couldn't figure out what was different until I realized my machine now doesn't go above 4bars of pressure during an extraction?? Im assuming this is definitely not normal.

erics
Supporter ★

#25: Post by erics »

You are correct and I believe it has come time for both you and the machine to take a road trip back to the dealer.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#26: Post by crobley (original poster) »

Thanks Eric.
I'll call them today. Man...the odds of getting 2 lemons.

#27: Post by crobley (original poster) »

Update:
Been on the phone back and forth with tech support from WLL trying to figure out why this machine is acting this way. Disassembled the group and made sure there was nothing to cause any blocking. Removed the copper line running from the group head to the boiler and lastly even drilled a slightly larger hole in the flow restrictor from the boiler. All of these things an nothing was able to fix it. In the end it even ran more terribly. It would idle at 210 and would be a colossal pain to cool down. I'd have to flush for 30 seconds before the temp would finally start to creep down to normal temps.

So I'm finally returning it today. And I decided I am so so so done with dealing with an HX machine (granted mine had major issues) that I shelled out the extra bucks and got a new Brewtus IV with pid control. No more temping for me thank god.