Need help! My shots blonding early and are just terrible... - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
docjcf

#11: Post by docjcf »

Hi

I have the same machine and eric's thermometer. After an idle time of 1 hr the temp is around 208 degrees. My flushing technique is to flush until temp is 206 degrees (goes up to 214 and slowly down and I stop at 206) then wait 3-4 seconds while I throw the water away (hot water in cups) and put portafilter in (i prepare puck before flushing) and then go. The usual temp at end of 25-30 seconds is 200. I can modify flushing to change temps.
A temp of 178 idle after an hr is way off. Dont think increasing your pressure will help. Is the thermometer good? There is something wrong. Would be very unlucky to get 2 lemons. Did they send u same machine or brand new one?

Regards

John

erics
Supporter ★

#12: Post by erics »

A temp of 178 idle after an hr is way off. Dont think increasing your pressure will help.
John - You are most correct. I did not read that in his original post but did receive info to that effect in a private email exchange.

I was hoping (wishful thinking?) that the 193 was a consistent. He is being sent a new thermometer (exchange) even though the existing one has passed muster in some tests.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

crobley (original poster)

#13: Post by crobley (original poster) »

Thank you guys for the help.
WLL did send me a new one so this is just as surprising to me that its so all over the place on temps.

Edit:
Just got some new beans so I'll give these a shot in the am. I'll also take better note of my temps.

sqroot3

#14: Post by sqroot3 »

crobley, i think you're cutting the shot early, before true blonding--does anyone else agree? cf. this thread. acknowledged that it is difficult to compare with different lighting and angles.

second the thought that your distribution could be improved, but it's not by any means terrible. i would routinely get worse distributions out of the vario if i didn't use wdt.

Randy G.

#15: Post by Randy G. »

I agree that the shot got nowhere near blonding. It looks like the grind was too fine and the doughnut extraction never coalesced into the center into a single stream. That could also be from poor distribution which as previously mentioned. Add the temperature problems and there is just a lot of wrong going on here.

Maybe someone with experience in New York can be bribed with some Scotch to go help the guy out.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

#16: Post by crobley (original poster) »

Interesting. I should read up more on a blonding shot look because I was sure that bad boy was totally at a cut off point.

#17: Post by crobley (original poster) »

Want to say I took into account everything everyone suggested here.
Purchased some new beans and started with 20g in a triple shot basket.
After grinding I had a large mound which I spend a good amount of time distributing then discarding the excess.
Lightly set my tamper in to make sure it was level then firmly pressed down without spinning.
The shot was remarkably better. I am going to try a few more times to try and dial it in and will post another video for some critiques. Thanks so much for all the help.

Side note with the temping.
Was recording the temps of the machine.

Left is the time and the right is the group temp:
6:00 - 193 (pulled a shot)
6:20 - 196
6:30 - 172
6:55 - 151
7:05 - 144
(4 second flush)
8:00 - 183
8:15 - 200

Just FYI but it is crazy town. Looking forward to testing a new thermostat to see if thats the issue.

docjcf

#18: Post by docjcf »

I still believe one of the main issues is temperature. Let us know what the temperatures are after the new thermometer and the new thermostat arrive. Very interesting to have the same issue twice with 2 new machines.

regards

JOhn

canuckcoffeeguy

#19: Post by canuckcoffeeguy replying to docjcf »

I'm not an electrician, or an engineer of any sort -- but could a problem with the OP's home electrical system be the culprit? Maybe not supplying enough, or consistent voltage? I'm not saying this is the case. I am not even qualified to determine whether or not this is the case. But just throwing out the question.

Although not impossible, it seems strange that two machines would have the same issue. Unless they were manufactured as part of a bad batch.

#20: Post by crobley (original poster) »

Well, I was using the new thermometer for a few days.
Machine was idle at 200 degrees so I was pretty happy. However, after I pull a shot the machine does a very interesting thing where the temp in the group just drops. And I mean drops, like to 145 range.
Eric said it was a thermosyphon stall and after reading up on that it does seem to fit whats happening to me.

One thread here mentioned looking for leaks by seeing if a puddle forms in a dry drip tray after a while. I did notice a small pool had formed from some droplets over about an hour so I'm not sure if thats very concrete evidence.

I cannot believe my luck with my first fancy machine. Makes me wonder if WLL just sent me back my original one or something.

Also! Back to my shots. I have been following everyone's advice and they are turning out MUCH better. :D
Now I just need to get this temp thing figured out and I'll be happy.