Need advice for Barista training

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
mdmvrockford

#1: Post by mdmvrockford »

The easy answer and best answer would be to fly to Klatch Coffee and take private one day barista training from Ms. Perry http://www.klatchroasting.com/Private_T ... ea_per.htm. This answer is however is not doable option (too bad her shop not in SF area as there last week :( ).

So the questions are: which Chicagoland (or Wisconsin or Indiana ...willing to drive to either) private (one to one) barista training would you recommend? I have no interest in small group and fully realize I will pay more for one to one training. To those who did training at Intelligentsia and Counter Culture Coffee training centers in Chicago, do you remember name of barista instructor you liked? Just sent email to Intelligentsia to inquire on the one to one training (roasting works closed now).

I did search of HB and could not find answer to above. If already answered then I apologize for my sucky search skills.

Background:
* looking to improve by espresso barista skills/ efficiency

* looking to make latte art rosettas (I have looked at TNTC youtube, HB videos on latte art and I still cannot consistently do this). I need feedback from pro barista analyzing my technique. I found one to one golf lesson with good PGA instructor corrected one of my poor golf swing elements that years of self analysis/youtube videos could not.

* realized the best skilled person for activity "x" may not be best instructor for activity "x" and vice versa ; Butch Harmon for golf comes to mind (e.g. excellent instructor but never won any majors or for that matter any PGA event)(but I'd love to take lesson from him if I had >$1000 per hour). For barista training ideally like to have both and Ms. Perry sounds like both Are Barista Training Classes Worth the Money?
LMWDP #568

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#2: Post by EspressoForge »

Intelligentsia offers classes in Chicago, both in group and private.

You could also talk to the owner of your favorite cafes. You might be surprised how they may already offer classes or be willing to let you sit in on a staff training session. Maybe not but it never hurts to ask!

jgirl125

#3: Post by jgirl125 »

I've been to the Counter Culture training center in Chicago and enjoyed the training. I don't remember the trainer's name though. I took the group Espresso class and there were only 5 students so I got all my questions answered, and loved getting some time on the different LaMarzocco's they had.

Marshall

#4: Post by Marshall »

If you have a favorite barista, he or she would probably be glad for the extra money. Just ask.
Marshall
Los Angeles

mdmvrockford (original poster)

#5: Post by mdmvrockford (original poster) »

EspressoForge wrote:Intelligentsia offers classes in Chicago, both in group and private.

You could also talk to the owner of your favorite cafes. You might be surprised how they may already offer classes or be willing to let you sit in on a staff training session. Maybe not but it never hurts to ask!
Yes I know that Intelly has private classes (sorry if not clear in OP). I have email out to them to inquire on price (roasting works closed on w/e). Also there are only two cafes in Rockford. No way w/o sounding rude, one is not good (though impressive restored La Marzocco machine) and the other is very good but barista/owner is just starting out (he is very experienced roaster).
Marshall wrote:If you have a favorite barista, he or she would probably be glad for the extra money. Just ask.
The problem Marshall is I know of no names outside of Mike Phillips (apparently in California now per one of your post but that was few years back) and Matt Riddle (? if still with Intelligentsia). I will ask Intelly on Monday if either available for private training. The other problem is do not know who are good instructors (as stated in above OP skilled, decorated barista may not be good instructor). Given the money this will cost, I'd like to have decorated skilled barista AND good instructor. BUT if can only pick one characteristic, of course I'd favor training from good instructor.
LMWDP #568