Naked portafilter starts to spray after grinder upgrade

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
ivan.pagac

#1: Post by ivan.pagac »

Hi,
I purchased new grinder Compak K3 and set the right grind yesterday . Before the Compak I was using MDF for at least 1/2 of a year. However, with MDF there was basically no spraying at all (ok, maybe 1 out of 30 shots) but with the new Compak every shot is spraying like a hell. I didnt changed my tamping technique or temperature or even the position of the locked PF. Any advice what could be wrong? Iam dosing 11g per single shot.
Many thanks,
Ivan

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

It's the new burrs on the grinder, not the portafilter. Break in the grinder, you'll see everything improve.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

ivan.pagac (original poster)

#3: Post by ivan.pagac (original poster) »

Hi, so your advice is to just grind some coffee over? I have cca 1kg of old coffee at home ...

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC »

ivan.pagac wrote:Hi, so your advice is to just grind some coffe over? I have cca 1kg of old coffee at home ...

It'll require more than that, but yes.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Randy G.

#5: Post by Randy G. »

ivan.pagac wrote:Hi, so your advice is to just grind some coffee over? I have cca 1kg of old coffee at home ...
Just to make sure that it isn't a language problem, you said, "grind some coffee over." Never run ground coffee through a grinder again (means do not grind coffee twice).
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

BenKeith

#6: Post by BenKeith »

About two years ago, I replaced the 83mm burrs in my espresso grinder. There is a commercial, specialty roaster about 50 miles from me and they happen to have 17 pounds of a bad roast coffee they sold me for $3 a pound. I ran that through mine. I tried a shot every two pounds, after 12 pounds it got where it was not pissing everywhere, after the 17 pounds, it was delivering somewhat consistent shots. Last year she had another 8 pounds I bought and after that, it finally settled in and gives very good and consistent shots.
Another grinder I had several years ago with 68mm burrs, when I replaced the burrs in it, I did bunches of rice and bought the cheapest supermarket whole beans I could find to get it seasoned.
I've learned the bigger, badder the grinder, the more grinding it takes to season the burrs. Some guys are claiming over a 100 pounds or more on the big Ditting burrs. That's meaning it cost more to break them in than the burrs set cost.