Move the Queue: Drip or Percolator

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Bob_Coffee

#1: Post by Bob_Coffee »

Hi

When running a mobile coffee setup, how do you get the queue of 50 people to move faster?
Making espresso for 50 people can take some time on a two group machine.

Assuming not every one who wants coffee necessarily orders an espresso based drink, what would be best? Percolator or drip coffee or something else?

Thanks,
H

russel

#2: Post by russel »

If you have enough refrigeration and the weather permits, 2 Toddys worth of cold brew might go a long way. Also, 2 big Technivorms can almost match the output of a small 110v batch brewer.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

Advertisement
Bodka Coffee

#3: Post by Bodka Coffee »

I would try to stay away from a percolator. It seems they don't do well in making good coffee. Just my opinion. Others may not agree. :-)

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

A true percolator is the absolutely worst thing you can use to make coffee. It heats the water, percolates it up into the top of the pot at to high a temperature, drips through the coffee back into the base. Then super heats the coffee, spurts it up into the top of the percolator to go through the coffee again, repeat a few hundred times. You just keep re boiling the coffee. I would surmise that most folks will be going for a large cup of black or a big milk drink. You could break it into two lines. One for espresso based drinks, the other for coffee based be it hot or iced.
Dave Stephens

Bob_Coffee (original poster)

#5: Post by Bob_Coffee (original poster) »

Thanks for the input.
I think I will go for drip coffee to kill the queues.

H

endlesscycles

#6: Post by endlesscycles »

I sell 20 gallons of coffee in under 4 hours, once a week. I do 1 gallon pourovers using a cupping kettle, propane heat, and a Fetco brew basket. I am certain you can not do better without being plugged in to 220.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC