Mirror extraction

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
NeedBeans

#1: Post by NeedBeans »

I can't believe it took me ~8 years to find this site...but I'm really glad I did. I often followed alt.c back in the early 2000s then I got busy and it, as you know, fell apart. I've been pleased with my setup but recently was curious to read what the latest buzz was. That's how I found home-barista. There are some really good conversations here!

I'm certainly no expert but I like to believe I've gotten quite good at making espresso. (My weak point is clearly access to freshly roasted coffee; yes, I know I should home roast :roll:) I'm always looking to improve so in addition to finding home-barista, I also found that a lot of folks are posting their extractions on youtube. I was fascinated and spent way too much time watching.

This brings me to the purpose of this post: After watching videos of extractions I had the idea to borrow my daughter's hand mirror and propped it up so that I could watch the pour while standing straight up. The mirror rests on one fork of the grinder and leans against the bottom of the drip tray (at roughly a 30 degree angle). I know I'm not the first to use a mirror to watch an extraction (in fact, to my surprise I found an espresso supplier selling mirrors to do just that) but if you haven't tried it give it a whirl. It's much more comfortable and I swear that I can just see the pour better. I can't say if it will result in better shots but it certainly has upped my enjoyment of the process.

[One odd recent observation was that just past the halfway point of locking in the portafilter handle, the filter basket stops rotating. That makes sense but I never realized this was what happens.]
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." —Oscar Wilde

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Paul,

I just love little technical tips like this one on ergonomics. It will probably save a trip to the chiropractor.

Thank you for posting!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

AngerManagement

#3: Post by AngerManagement »

web cam and watch on the big screen.. :P :P Best when using a Nakid :twisted:
Ability is nothing without opportunity. - Napoleon Bonaparte

cpreston
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by cpreston »

I mounted one of those stainless shot mirrors from Espressoparts on my Bezzera. Had to shorten it with a hacksaw first, but it works well and looks like the machine came with it.

sweaner

#5: Post by sweaner »

I have one of those little blind spot mirrors they sell in the auto parts store, just sitting on the drip tray.
Scott
LMWDP #248

NeedBeans (original poster)

#6: Post by NeedBeans (original poster) »

I knew others had to be doing this!
cpreston wrote:I mounted one of those stainless shot mirrors from Espressoparts on my Bezzera. Had to shorten it with a hacksaw first, but it works well and looks like the machine came with it.

How did you mount it? Can it rest in place without mounting?
sweaner wrote:I have one of those little blind spot mirrors they sell in the auto parts store, just sitting on the drip tray.

I like this approach because the perspective is probably better than my approach. Being a blind spot mirror, does it distort the image?
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." —Oscar Wilde

sweaner

#7: Post by sweaner »

The mirror is slightly convex, and the image is "closer than it appears."
Scott
LMWDP #248

cpreston
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by cpreston »

How did you mount it? Can it rest in place without mounting?
The mirror comes with industrial doublesided foam tape. It does not want to come off.

denniskeating

#9: Post by denniskeating »

i used a 5" round mirror to view the p/f and found the other side of the mirror was magnified and consequently improved my view . it helps with "old persons eyesight".

nixter

#10: Post by nixter »

I've been wanting to do this for a while. I have erics' adapter and I can't keep an eye on it if I'm crouched down.