Milk Steaming - Expobar Office Lever

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
mdavis6890

#1: Post by mdavis6890 »

Hey everybody, this is my first post on this forum, so thanks very much in advance for any input that you might have.

I recently purchased an Expobar Office Lever Plus. The espresso is consistently great, and it's a wonderful upgrade from my prior Silvia.

Except - I cannot get that same nice microfoam as I used to with my Silvia. No matter what I try I end up with dish-soap on top and watery milk on the bottom. Is there something I need to be doing differently here? Any tips or tricks you can recommend?

Thanks!

cannonfodder
Team HB

#2: Post by cannonfodder »

There are a lot of video's and how to's on steaming.

How to Steam Milk for Cappuccinos and Lattes [video]

It sounds like you are stretching to long and not incorporating the microfoam which is common when you make a big jump in steaming power.
Dave Stephens

Advertisement
jasonburk

#3: Post by jasonburk »

Any luck yet? I recently purchased a Lever Plus myself and am struggling with steaming as well.

Though not quite wet paint yet, I do seem to fair a tiny bit better when I try to roll the milk (after the initial stretching phase, tipping the pitcher back towards me), as opposed to creating a whirlpool effect, though the end result is still hot, watery milk followed by dollops of foam.

I also think that I do better when I use more milk but then begin to overflow in my tiny 12oz. pitcher. I only aim to steam enough milk to complete a small latte, so I'd hate to use more than needed but I'll break out the 20oz. pitcher tomorrow and follow up on that theory.

I mostly use the factory single-hole tip, but have also purchased and tried a dual-hole tip and quad-hole I recently purchased from chriscoffee. Tried with both my 12oz. rattleware handle-less pitcher and my friend's Espro Torroid pitcher. I keep the pitchers in the freezer, and steam with omega-3 infused whole-milk (the only fatty milk available around me).

docjcf

#4: Post by docjcf »

Hi,

I have the same machine and came from a gaggia classic (similar to Silvia). It took me a while to get good foam but now its like night and day compared to the classic. I have tried the 3 and 4 hole tips but the power diminishes so went back to the stock single tip.
I start with a slight angle and incorporate some air (the hissing sound- much lower ammt of time compared w classic) for a bit of time and then just let the milk swirl without the hissing sound until temp is reached. Foam looks nice and velvety. I have had my lever for over a yr and happy w it.

regards

john