Microfoam technique on an Astoria SAE 1?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
sashaman

#1: Post by sashaman »

We have an Astoria SAE1 at work, and while it makes superb espresso, for the life of me I can not get microfoam milk from the steamer. For one, it's super powerful so it's not a lot of time to texture the milk, but even if I use a bigger pitcher or only open the steam valve a bit I still can't get microfoam - the 5 hole tip just makes it kind of impossible to get a whirlpool going.

Any advice? Are there other steam tips available for this machine? Would perhaps something like the Espro Toroid pitcher work better?

Thanks

boar_d_laze

#2: Post by boar_d_laze »

By all means try to find a slower tip.

It's difficult to see the vortex with a five hole, since each hole creates its own vortex and the five vortices blend together in a way which will never look like a whirlpool.

But more or fewer holes and more or less steam power and the basic principles of steaming remain the same.

There are four possible positions for the tip. Think of them as two sets of two elements each. The tip can be 2/3 of the way down, or 1/3 of the way down; all the way to the side, or to the center.

You'll have to experiment (you can use water with a bit of soap to save on milk) until you find the right tip position for stretch and the right position for roll. Either way, large bubbles are unacceptable.

In addition to keeping the foam micro, it's hard not to overcook it with a powerful steamer. For latte art quality chrome, try not to stretch more than about 30%, switch to roll as soon as the pitcher feels warm, and don't take the milk past 130F.

If you're doing small quantities of milk -- as for a short capp -- you may have to steam more milk than you'll use in order to get the quality you want.

Don't forget to bang the pitcher on the counter to collapse any extra air, swirl, bang again, and swirl again. The end-game mechanics can correct for a multitude of sins committed during the steam.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

bmb

#3: Post by bmb »

Latte art is not my thing, but I manage to get, if not artistic, at least tasty and presentable coffee milk drinks.
Normally I get quite good microfoam for cappuccini with my four hole Strega wand.
However, for latte art quality froth it takes a little more.
First comes good lighting (got improved results when adding another lamp).
Next, pitcher has to seat firmly on the tray, and I may be able to tilt it easily.
After a good purge with little pressure, I lower the wand to the desired high, about one or two mm below the milk's surface.
Then verify if it's at the right depth, correct tilting (more you tilt the more the tip immerses) to ideal frothing and whirling position and slowly open the joystick.
After a 25-30% volume increase, tilt more, for more immersion and best whirling.
I rather keep quite low pressure all the time, about half strength for latte art.
For cappuccini I let the pitcher stand still (no tilt), beginn and end with slow pressure and use full pressure in between, specially while using the bigger pitcher.

LaDan

#4: Post by LaDan »

What's your steamer pressure? Take it down and try.