Maple Sap French Press Coffee

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
doubleOsoul

#1: Post by doubleOsoul »

Well I've been up to no good this winter, writing my book, working on a website and taking my coffee to another level. First, I have been making sole to use in my Elektra Micro casa. Sole is a fancy way of saying dissolved himalayan salt in distilled water over a 24 hour period. I put a teaspoon of sole in a quantity of distilled water and fill the boiler. Results have been tasty to say the least. I've been doing this for months and the boiler is still clean. More on that another time.

The other science coffee experiment I've been messing with is with Maple sap. I went to a Maple Festival here on Vancouver Island last month, and after years of requesting maple sap from eastern Canada producers (with no results), I was finally able to buy some from producers here on the Island. Of course taste is subjective but damn, double damn, that french press tastes so good. I've tried it with both Brazilian and some guatemalan that I roasted to the edge of second crack. Maple sap is pretty mineralized because the soiled isn't so fatigued like it is in the East (potassium, calcium, magnesium, manganese, iron and zinc) and puts a real 'sparkle' in a cup.
Although the maple run is short, I'll likely carry it on my website once tapping begins again in November.

I tried making tea with the sap water which made some tasty Earl Grey but maple sap puts a real shine on the coffee experience.

doubleOsoul (original poster)

#2: Post by doubleOsoul (original poster) »

I forgot to add, when I went to the Maple Festival, I tapped a tree and was able to drink some of the sap. That's when I knew it had to hook up with some Brazilian beans...lol.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#3: Post by jbviau »

Very interesting. I didn't know you could consume the sap before it's processed. Will have to look out for it! Thanks. The edgiest thing I've ever done in mapleland is seek out Grade B (which I like) instead of Grade A. 8)
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JohnB. »

Sap is just very dilute Maple Syrup so no reason you can't drink it. If I recall correctly it takes 40 gallons of sap to make one gallon of syrup. Maple Syrup festivals & the visits to the local syrup shack were a big part of winter in northern Vermont where I grew up. It's a staple in our house so I buy a couple gallons every spring.
LMWDP 267

#5: Post by doubleOsoul (original poster) »

I should have mentioned that... yes sap is the forefather of maple syrup after a long boil down.

bean2friends

#6: Post by bean2friends »

Grade B from Michigan is my preferred topping for waffles. I even like grade C when I can get it. It's that caramelly thing I'm fond of. I like it (the caramel) in coffee, dulce de leche, ice cream, where ever I can find it.

Nate42

#7: Post by Nate42 »

That's an interesting idea. I had good results brewing a beer where I mashed the grains in maple sap rather than water. But it never occurred to me to do something simpler like brew coffee with it.

#8: Post by doubleOsoul (original poster) »

bean2friends wrote:Grade B from Michigan is my preferred topping for waffles. I even like grade C when I can get it. It's that caramelly thing I'm fond of. I like it (the caramel) in coffee, dulce de leche, ice cream, where ever I can find it.
For the longest, Canada had D grade which looked like molasses and was really tasty. However, the producers here on the Island are tapping Big Leaf Maples and ending up with a product that puts a new spin on D grade maple. It's intensely mineralized and seems to spike the blood sugar very little.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster »

Low glycemic index maple syrup? Now I've heard everything.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#10: Post by doubleOsoul (original poster) »

Chris, I'll have to bring some for you at the next Bay Area get together...lol. (And I didn't say low glycemic - I said it doesn't spike which is a change from the nasty agave that's in everything now).