Making scrambled eggs with an espresso machine

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
decent_espresso
Sponsor

#1: Post by decent_espresso »

Scott Rao told me that the steam wand of an espresso machine makes amazing scrambled eggs. I had to try it.

Headala

#2: Post by Headala »

LOL, I had a place in Hawaii serve me eggs from an espresso machine. Cleanup must be a pain in the rear. 2 questions:
Why do you guys like fishy eggs? LOL
Will a "scrambled eggs" profile be included on the PRO version? :P

Advertisement
day

#3: Post by day »

decent_espresso wrote:Scott Rao told me that the steam wand of an espresso machine makes amazing scrambled eggs. I had to try it.

That, sir, is some risky marketing. Now I am off to read about what causes fishy flavor in eggs, because it sounds like a definite NoGo to me.
edit: I will have to read some more about later, but it looks like you had some tainted eggs. http://www.agricontent.nl/assets/files/ ... %20sec.pdf I would be curious to see how it would go if you did an initial steam to incorporate air, along with some cream and spices, and then pour into a pan to finish.

Haha you might also want to check with rao to see if he wants his name on that video ;)
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

I'm waiting for the Decent Toaster announcement. :D
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

day

#5: Post by day replying to yakster »

Ha, a metal lid that clicks in place over the top and a separate circular thermoblock directly under (inside the lid?) to rapidly heat it to a specific temperature :)
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

nickw

#6: Post by nickw »

I've seen people do this. The steam would keep things moving, but it would be to easy to overcook them (and get rubbery eggs):
Did you try the eggs with adding butter before steaming?

Personally, I like my scrambled eggs like this:

decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#7: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

nickw wrote:I've seen people do this. The steam would keep things moving, but it would be to easy to overcook them (and get rubbery eggs):
Did you try the eggs with adding butter before steaming?]
I had put heavy cream in. The problem seems to be that between 70°C and 76°C the eggs finally set, and this temperature change happens in about 2 to 3 seconds.

I have been thinking about adding a "Steam Profiling" feature to our DE1PRO espresso machine, as some people want gentler steam to start with to get a easily controlled fine texture, and then crank up the steam pressure once they've pushed the wand under the milk, so that it heats faster.

If we added "Steam Profiling" it might be useful to make scrambled eggs, but the espresso machine would need to talk to a bluetooth thermometer to know when to back off.

In the same way, when making milk foam, Rao advised me to always plunge the wand before 40°C to get better texture. If we had steam profiling that was controlled by the milk temperature (say, by adding bluetooth to our digital milk thermometer), we could do this.

I realize that I'm over complexifying two things that don't really "need fixing" (making milk foam and scrambled eggs). This style of conversation is really just having fun with "what if you could..." scenarios, and sometimes (not often) something useful comes out of it. :D

ps: I've seen that Ramsay video before, it's an insane amount of fat, like a lot of his cooking, but I bet it's tasty.

Advertisement
desmodici

#8: Post by desmodici »

it may turn out tasting good using this method, but the method itself would psychologically taint the experience/taste for me (it would be like knowing my perfectly cooked wagyu ribeye was prepared on a burner that was setup in a public restroom)

not as harsh as that, but you get the idea :)

nuketopia

#9: Post by nuketopia »

It's clever and I've thought of it.

But I have to say, nothing beats eggs cooked in a water-immersion bath ( sous-vide cooker ). By controller the heat to a fraction of a degree, the eggs can be cooked to exactly to the desired yolk texture. At 63c the yolks basically poach into creamy sauce. Just amazing.

http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/co ... 39n0z.html

yakster
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by yakster »

You can cook eggs in an open kettle espresso machine like the La Peppina. I haven't tried it, but I do have a PID which would make it trivial to us the kettle for sous vide.

More on cooking with your espresso machine here: Steaming Eggs on an Espresso Machine
-Chris

LMWDP # 272