Makeshift sink & other tips to improve your workflow

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
SonVolt

#1: Post by SonVolt »

Since I don't have a sink next to my Espresso machine and I don't like rinsing my portafilter under the group head (makes a mess, bangs into the thermosyphon, fills up the drip tray quickly) I set an empty steam-table insert under my hot water wand. It also doubles as a place to dump my sink shots and cup-warming water. I feel a little dumb not having thought of this sooner.

When I'm finished it slips out of sight underneath the knockbox insert.

So what other unorthodox tips and tricks have you guys come up with to improve your espresso workflow?

Dayglow

#2: Post by Dayglow »

I keep a square reusable plastic container on the drip tray cover under the group. When I flush or do any rinses, the water goes into it. I can also drain my drip tray into it when I clean up.

spearfish25

#3: Post by spearfish25 »

I used to keep a Tupperware by my Silvia for this reason. Now I drained the Profitec to a 5 gal bottle under my counter. If you have the space I highly recommend it. Much less fussing with containers and water.

SonVolt (original poster)

#4: Post by SonVolt (original poster) »

Does the drain water get all nasty? I wonder if you can put a chlorine puck in it....

bluesman

#5: Post by bluesman »

SonVolt wrote:So what other unorthodox tips and tricks have you guys come up with to improve your espresso workflow?
I do the same thing you do, but I use an old stainless steel pan from the operating room with more "patina of use" than patients want to see (cleaned and sterilized many times before I brought it home, of course - my wife was not thrilled...) Because OR pans are designed to be easy to clean, have removable covers, and stack while covered, they make great containers for baskets, cleaning tools, extra tamper bottoms, spare parts etc.

#6: Post by SonVolt (original poster) replying to bluesman »

haha! That's funny because my wife is in medical sales and brings home used surgery towels after they can no longer laundered. Guess what I'm cleaning my espresso machine and counter tops with :)

bluesman

#7: Post by bluesman replying to SonVolt »

The hospital has been the source of many a fine home accessory over the years. Back in the '90s, the powers that be decided they were switching to disposable sterile towels for drying our hands before gowning - so I got dozens of brand new 100% cotton hand towels they were going to throw out. We still haven't used them all. And my tool collection contains many surgical instruments that were not up to spec for use in surgery any longer but work great in the shop.

The only problem with using medical supplies at home is the vivid imaginations of non-medical people. One friend in particular can't help but think about what was once carried in the stainless steel specimen trays that now serve us so well in the kitchen. Maybe I should have described them as storage trays.......

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by JohnB. »

bluesman wrote:The only problem with using medical supplies at home is the vivid imaginations of non-medical people. One friend in particular can't help but think about what was once carried in the stainless steel specimen trays that now serve us so well in the kitchen. Maybe I should have described them as storage trays.......
Yes that & the " used surgery towels after they can no longer laundered"!! :shock:
LMWDP 267

#9: Post by SonVolt (original poster) replying to JohnB. »

The good news is brown coagulated blood stains look almost identical to coffee after a trip through the wash :lol:

spearfish25

#10: Post by spearfish25 »

SonVolt wrote:Does the drain water get all nasty? I wonder if you can put a chlorine puck in it....
I pour a little bleach in the jug after emptying it. Doesn't grow the nasty crud my drip tray used to when I'd forget to clean it for days. I empty it once every two weeks now.

I've been known to wear hospital socks. Love the grippy rubber but they're starting to get wild with the colors. Oh, the laparoscopic scope warmer comes with the best little microfiber optical cleaning towels you'll ever get your hands on.