Love the Espro toroid pitcher

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Ross Leidy

#1: Post by Ross Leidy »

In the absence of real skill, the right tool can go a long way. I picked up the large Espro toroid pitcher, and I can already see some improvements in my microfoam and subsequent "art". While the toroid shape probably does help develop a good whirlpool effect, what I noticed most was how much a narrow spout contributes to the control of the pour. I had been using a wide-mouth pitcher and the milk sloshed all over the place. The narrow spout of the Espro really provides control over the stream of milk as you pour. This is my best latte to date, in the small Black Cat Project latte cup, which BTW is super comfortable.

Ross Leidy

da gino

#2: Post by da gino »

Alas a pitcher alone will not pour such nice latte art or mine would be better than it is (although a narrow spout helps a ton).

Heckie

#3: Post by Heckie »

NICE Ross. :D

Ross Leidy (original poster)

#4: Post by Ross Leidy (original poster) »

Thanks! I'm still in the learning stages, and I'm trying to develop more consistency. That one was by far my best - resulting in a mad dash for the camera. I've not duplicated it since, but I'll keep plugging away. The nice thing is that even the ugly ones still taste great. :)
Ross Leidy

Skunkie

#5: Post by Skunkie »

I gotta say that has come out better than any of the art I've been doing. I'm also trying to become moderately acceptable at steaming/frothing milk. My ultimate goal really is for cappuccinos, but it is super fun to wow a guest with a pretty picture in their coffee (even if they are just gonna muck it up with sugar in a second after serving).

I love seeing progress shots, so I'll look forward to new photos in this thread. :)
// LMWDP #299 \\

#6: Post by Ross Leidy (original poster) »

I don't know if it's progress, but I managed to pour a decent rosette (for me) in a new Inker cappuccino cup I just got from OE. I like that red!

Ross Leidy

lolgun

#7: Post by lolgun »

Ross - How do you like the Inker cups over the Black Cat ones? I have the BC myself and am curious to the hype on Inker. . .

#8: Post by Ross Leidy (original poster) replying to lolgun »

I really like the Black Cat for comfort - the full finger hole on the handle and the flat surface on top (at least on the small-latte cups I have - I still need to get some of the cappa cups). Super easy to hold. The Inkers I got have the pinch grip - not quite as easy to hold. The inkers are thicker and are supposed to have good heat retention. I do think that the Inker cups get hotter on the exterior than the Black Cats, but the Inker Tina's hold less milk, so I suppose additional heat transfer can be expected. They are nice little cups, though. I've only had them a week, so more eval time is in order. In fact, I think I'll go make a couple decaf cappas right now. :)
Ross Leidy