Looking for the Best Way to Measure Temperature w/o a PID

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
gingi

#1: Post by gingi »

Proud owner of a Silvia (she's my 3rd machine so far). Looked up all over the web and here and read all about the "cup and thermometer" techniques - which is a nice improvisation for folks like me without a PIC system.
Problem is, the temp of the water I measure (thermometer inside a hole into an insulated cup - water don't go away) never goes above 195F. I know it's close to the ideal temp (200F), but I wonder why it wont go up.
If someone is creative enough o suggest another way that will not requite buying another piece of equipment, please let me know.
imgingi.

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

I can suggest a cheap piece of equipment. You can buy online inexpensive thermometers with thermocouples attached, probably for less than $15. If you can get a thin wire thermocouple with one of those you can thread it to the top of the coffee cake. Alternatively if you have a bottomless portafilter and can sacrifice a filter basket by drilling a hole in its side, you can thread the thermocouple tip through the filter basket and position it so it is at the top of the coffee cake. If you make your espresso and then measure the temperature in the cup underneath, you will have a good guess of the difference between brew temperature and the temperature you can more easily measure. From what I have read, though, the PID kit for Auber Instruments for the Silvia is worth getting because it will make the performance of that machine much more controllable.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JohnB. »

I've got several of those cheap digital thermometers & the accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. Ideally buy something that you can calibrate with an offset. Whatever you decide to use check the accuracy with a corrected boiling water calibration so you know that the numbers you are seeing are correct.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/h2oboilcalc.html
LMWDP 267

gingi (original poster)

#5: Post by gingi (original poster) »

Thanks guys. I appreciate it a lot!