Latte Art! Help this beginner out

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
jsmys74

#1: Post by jsmys74 »

Hello,
This is my first time on this forum
so if I'm doing something wrong please let me know

Its been about 3-4 months since I started making coffee
and I was always interested in latte art before I started

After learning espresso and milk steaming
I'm trying latte art these days and no way it works
so I watched the videos about latte art on many other posts and tips and techniques
but still have no luck,

So I'll began by stating some problems I get while trying latte art
1. For the high pour and low pour,
am I supposed to let the same amount(rate) of milk pour from the pitcher as I lower it?

2. Sometimes I get these thick foam on top of the crema which leads to a obese looking rosetta
and sometimes I get these milky(wet) foam that leads to another form of rosetta

3. I use paper cups at my work place so when I pour the milk over trying not to break the crema,
I don't know why but bottom of my rosetta always ends up touching the side of the cup
making it look like half rosetta

4. Sometimes when doing high/low pour I get no foam coming up, does this relate with question 1?

5. Latte art and the cappuccinos are different? or just amount of foam differs and same concept with
wrist action and pulling away etc.

6. My heart shape comes out rather small... maybe right down the center about 1inch in diameter?
how to fix this.

7. Soy Cappuccino.. This comes out really yucky when I always make it. Crema looks weird
looks like curdled milk and once I let my cappuccino sit out for awhile the foam takes a bad shape.
does it suppose to do this or I'm making a huge mistake about something. Free pour on cappuccino tips would
be great as well

I have alot more questions but as of now but this would do. . .
I wanted to correct myself in the techniques before its too late for me later on
I use ceramic cups as well for cappuccinos and latte but perform much worse maybe because I'm not used to such wide cup

Need some tips and advice from experts here totally new so feel free to teach me anything please

Thank you

LaDan

#2: Post by LaDan »

You can find some answers here.

http://www.vervecoffeeroasters.com/pages/videos

jsmys74 (original poster)

#3: Post by jsmys74 (original poster) »

Thanks alot
Think the milk steaming video and the latte art video really helped now its just matter of practice
Again thanks for sharing!

fishll

#4: Post by fishll »

Keep watching videos, pulling shots, and steaming milk. There is no way to learn besides LOTS of practice. You need a good shot, one with decent crema. Yes you can pour art into watery espresso but at your skill level you'd most likely be getting lucky. Then you need perfect milk. When I started out I finally got my milk to be good enough, milk that once swirled and tapped, incorporated the foam into the milk. Your milk should appear thick but not airy, it should be smooth when pouring. Again there is no way to learn quickly. There are tips for steaming milk where you can start with water and soap so you can get the liquid to spin and fold in on it self, but its not exactly the same as milk.

My recommendations, get yourself a nice wide/low bowl shaped cup, latte or cappuccino its your choice and stick with it. If your constantly pouring into different cups when learning your adding another variable, especially when using togo/styrofoam cups, they can be a challenge at the start. Focus on the shot and the milk rather than all of your attention on pouring. Without a good shot and good milk no matter how hard you try your going to frustrate yourself. Understand how to correct your milk and shots if they are not correct. Get to the point where you can say, oh well this shot is too thin and my milk is pretty airy, Ill give it a go but don't hope for much. It can be frustrating, but after a few hundred cappuccinos you'll get it.

Italyhound
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Italyhound »

Practice practice practice.

Having said that, since you are in NYC: Find a barista that you can hire for an hour or two to go through a few gallons of milk and a couple of pounds of coffee training you - over and over and over and over and over again.

I did it, and it helped me light years....

Maxwell Mooney

#6: Post by Maxwell Mooney »

Besides just practicing more, the size of your designs are related to how early/late you drop in to start pouring your design. If you start too early, your design will be too big and pushed into the sides of your cup like with your rosetta. If you start the design too late you'll have a small little design like the heart.

Your soy problem is common. Sometimes you can pour an ounce or two of soy into your espresso and swirl it around to mix the soy/espresso a bit before pouring the rest. It's pretty hard all around though.
"Coffee is evidence of Divine Grace, flavored coffee evidence of the Fall" -Kevin Hall

LMWDP #406

jessebgordon
Sponsor

#7: Post by jessebgordon »

While I won't attempt to answer all the answers you put forth, I'll address the ones that I had the most trouble with when I started learning latte art.

First, I want to echo the fact that you have to be able to make great espresso and milk first. Your first goal should be to make delicious espresso. Then, the texture of your milk is the thing you should worry about. Being able to consistently create silky, velvety, glossy micro-foam is crucial to making beautiful latte art. In my experience, that milk is almost always going to taste good as well. Remember, as my friend Lem Butler always says, "Latte art doesn't taste like anything! It is a guarantee to your customer/friend that what you're serving them is going to taste delicious!"

Second, make sure you are grooming/swirling the milk in the pitcher to incorporate that micro-foam into the heavier milk right up until you pour. It sounds like you may be letting the heavy milk and light milk foam separate a little too much before you start to pour.

Third, when you drop your pitcher close to the surface of the espresso, you should simultaneously increase the rate of your pour to create that dot which is the beginning of your design. I know at first that it is helpful to think of pouring latte art in different steps (high and slow pour, low fast pour, bring the pitcher back up, pull through), but when you can do these all in one fluid motion, that's when things really start happening!

Lastly, try to start your design as close to the middle of the cup as possible and continue the pour into the middle of the cup as you are creating your design. What this does is forces the design to fill the cup and pushes your layers around to create great contrast and symmetry. This video demonstrates what I'm referring to.
Hope that's helpful!

jsmys74 (original poster)

#8: Post by jsmys74 (original poster) »

Thanks for the tips guys,
Improvements have been made
My heart comes out larger
Rosetta still need to work on it
Cup has to be tilted and backed away as I am pouring the milk?

fishll

#9: Post by fishll »

The purpose of tilting the cup is to get the spout of the milk closer to the surface of the espresso. This allow you to start your design a little earlier, but this isn't necessary. You can pour any design you want with the cup sitting on the counter, but tilting and rocking the cup back to level as you pour works best for me.

LaDan

#10: Post by LaDan »

jsmys74 wrote: Cup has to be tilted and backed away as I am pouring the milk?
Yes. What it does is giving you a constant distance from your pitcher spout to the drink. That way, YOU decide how low or high you pour the milk from, and it is not affected by the height of the drink in the cup at that moment (how full the cup is at that moment).