La Pavoni Newbie Pulling Issues

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
RonnyG

#1: Post by RonnyG »

Hello everyone,

I was on the hunt for a lever espresso machine for awhile debating between the MCAL, the Cremina and the Pavoni ECP. An opportunity to buy a 1970-1973 version 1.6 Pavoni that was in great shape from a fellow HB member came up and I pounced on it. I feel I have a somewhat foundational knowledge as I have been causing through these forums and asking a million questions to the seller. In an effort to give the seller a break from my barrage of questions I write to you today with the feeling I am missing something somewhere, in my grind? I have yet to choke the machine out with to fine a grind or pull straight through with to course a grind but I am grinding coarser than I do on my gaggia classic, tamping lighter and still pulling with some effort for almost a minute to get a full shot.

I am loading an elektra double basket with 17g (need to buy a dosing funnel) and yielding between 28-31g in the cup each pull. I have two temp strips o the group that go from 60-90 and than 90-120. I have been getting the temp strip to light up on 85 mark before loading the PF and getting going on pulling my shot. I lift up 3/4 slowly than lock the PF all the way in, take the lever all the way up to start pre infusion. I immediately start small pumps at the top to build up some pressure under the lever (other wise it feels way to squishy) at about 8-10sec mark from start of preinfussion and the small pumps I start my steady pull.

This is where I feel I am missing something as with my coarser grind (than my gaggia classic) and lighter tamp I am still pulling that lever for about 45sec. I have been reading that the pulls should take you about 20-30 seconds and I am well outside that realm. I am a very active and fairly strong guy and I do feel I am putting some effort into the lever that exceeds the recommended 30lbs and don't feel comfortable trying to push it any harder than I already am. Towards the midway point of the pull things do ease up a little and the pull feels smoother and requires less effort to keep the shot pouring steady but that first half feels like I am pushing through a very tight puck. I just don't get it, I hear of having to grind finer and tamp lighter and I am grinding a coarser and still tamping lighter.
Thanks for any and all help.

Ron

gimpy

#2: Post by gimpy »

How many shots are you pulling at a sitting? Do/try a pull with no tamping. See if you get liquid coming out of the bottom during pre infusion?
How does it taste to you, the one minute shots?

drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

It's very simple. You won't choke the machine easily because you're much stronger than a vibe pump with flow restriction. If your pulls are too long and require too much pressure so that you are far exceeding 9 bars, it's very simple. Grind coarser for a dose of about 14 - 15 gm until you need to exert no more than 30 lbs. pressure on the lever for a shorter pull with ample crema. I write this a lot. People often don't believe me and hesitate to go coarser. The lower dose will help you avoid channeling, straight from advise given to me by Francesco Ceccarelli. When you preinfuse for a few seconds you should see drips in the cup. Take a chance! :lol:

At this point with my 1st gen Europiccolas I don't need to weigh the dose or measure temp. They're that consistent.

Here's a thread that will give you a few how-to's on lever pressure. Even though it addresses commercial spring levers. When you get beyond your current impasse, after you untangle your brain it will help you refine your technique. Usually now I ease off of lever pressure later in the pull to soften the shots.

Pressure Profiling Techniques for Spring Levers
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

RonnyG (original poster)

#4: Post by RonnyG (original poster) replying to drgary »

I will check that link out later once my exam is over, but I went for a coarser grind this morning and the results where awesome. 36sec shot, good crema and far less effort. What a difference. Now to figure out the temp surfing! Thanks so much.

RonnyG (original poster)

#5: Post by RonnyG (original poster) »

Well I read about lever pressure and how it can effect the cup, I took drgary's advise and dosed down slightly to 15.5, went a little coarser, tamped even lighter (if you want to call it a tamp), pulled the lever up to let steam into the chamber locked the PF in, pre infused with small pumps at the top for 5 seconds than started my pulldown. The results were amazing, 36sec shot from start, 15.5g in 28.6g out, which is a good ratio in my book and the taste was the best I have had to date at home especially for al lighter roasted SO that I have been doing pourovers with lately.

Just beautiful!!!