La Marzocco Linea Mini Microfoam Struggles

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
sordomudo11

#1: Post by sordomudo11 »

Calling all LM Linea Mini owners. I can get really consistent microfoam on other machines; we have Lineas at work in our kitchens and I can produce matte-finish, wet-paint, smooth microfoam with little effort. But even with a Slayer 1.0 mm tip on my Linea Mini steam wand, I struggle to get consistent results at home. (Even when exercising the utmost care, I end up with some stray bubbles sitting atop the milk.) Does anyone have tips to improve consistency? My latte art pours aren't what they could be if my microfoam were just more consistent.

Many thanks In advance!

nuketopia

#2: Post by nuketopia »

I'm using the slayer 1.0 tip, since I primarily steam small amounts of milk. (3-4 oz - single servings).

It is a really powerful steamer. That's one of its claims to fame. You could also try turning down the pressure-stat to reduce the boiler pressure a little if you think it will help.

The issues I have at home is the milk I can buy and my own technique. Store-bought milk is usually not as fresh or of the quality the local cafes get. (especially the really good Straus Dairy Barista Milk).

I'm able to get pretty good microfoam, but it took some practice.

Advertisement
LukeFlynn

#3: Post by LukeFlynn »

The stock LM tip is a struggle for anything smaller than 8oz of milk.

I would suggest getting a smaller tip.

sordomudo11 (original poster)

#4: Post by sordomudo11 (original poster) replying to LukeFlynn »

As mentioned in my original post, I'm already using the Slayer 1.0mm tip. It's almost certainly due in part to the small amount of milk I'm steaming (flat white, so 12 oz Rattleware pitcher). But again, that isn't a problem when I use a standard Linea at work with the same size pitcher. Not sure what the difference is. I have to imagine a regular Linea steams with every bit as much power as a LM, if not more.

#5: Post by sordomudo11 (original poster) »

nuketopia wrote:The issues I have at home is the milk I can buy and my own technique. Store-bought milk is usually not as fresh or of the quality the local cafes get. (especially the really good Straus Dairy Barista Milk).
Interesting thoughts on milk quality. Would you say it makes a big difference (in your microfoam quality) whether you use stock Safeway (Lucerne) milk versus, say, Clover or Horizon (organic)? I wouldn't have expected that at all but I'm out of my depth when it comes to milk chemistry/properties.

chipman

#6: Post by chipman »

I wouldn't use Horizon as it is ultra pasteurized.

nuketopia

#7: Post by nuketopia »

The best off the shelf milk I've found is Clover Organic whole milk. I've found my local Whole Foods generally has it the freshest (longest expiration date) although some Target stores stock it for less money. Second best is regular Clover whole milk, followed by 365-brand whole milk and Berkeley farms milk.

Strauss Dairy is available retail, but only cream-top (non homogenized) which isn't the best thing. Strauss Barista milk isn't available to the public. It is "lightly homogenized" milk.

Homogenized milk is made by spraying it at high pressure through an orifice to break up and blend the fat (cream) into small particles and blend it. The processor can use different levels of homogenization. Apparently, "less" of this is better.

I'd skip Horizon and other "ultra-pasteurized" milk. They heat it more and it is designed for long shelf life. Just isn't as good tasting.

From my travels in Italy, most of the milk used in coffee bars comes from aseptic, room-temperature stable boxes. Go figure.

Advertisement
Beezer

#8: Post by Beezer »

How high is your pressure stat set? Mine was set pretty low from the factory, maybe 1.2 or 1.3 bar. I bumped it up to 1.6 bar, and now it steams much faster and also creates better microfoam. The extra velocity really seems to help blend and texturize the milk.
Lock and load!

nuketopia

#9: Post by nuketopia »

Mine is set at 1.3 bar, which I think is the standard setting for all US market machines.

I think you can set it to as high as 2.0bar max, according to the manual.

#10: Post by sordomudo11 (original poster) »

Beezer wrote:How high is your pressure stat set? Mine was set pretty low from the factory, maybe 1.2 or 1.3 bar. I bumped it up to 1.6 bar, and now it steams much faster and also creates better microfoam. The extra velocity really seems to help blend and texturize the milk.
Haven't adjusted it, so not sure, but IIRC it settles at about 1.5 bar after it heats up. Is the ideal a higher pressure with smaller wand holes? I've got the Slayer 1.0 tip, as mentioned.