La Marzocco GS/3 with wet steam

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Runaro

#1: Post by Runaro »

Hi, I have had a GS-3 AV for about 3 years now without steaming much milk. However lately lattes have been requested more frequently. I have problems with good microfoam, and I notice that the steam is very wet. When I turn of the steam the steam tip is like a "runny nose" dripping for a second or two. Can this be the reason it is difficult to get nice microfoam? I have the steam pressure at 1.6-1.7 bar. What can I do to get drier steam?

Bob_M

#2: Post by Bob_M »

Do you have a politically correct no burn wand or a dangerous burn me type ?? Are you plumbed in or running on reservoir ?? Mine takes a little longer to purge than my old Duetto did but only when plumbed in...if I'm on reservoir it acts normally. If I'm on low power (15A} mode the steam performance is kinda wimpy. I assume you are on 220 volt electrical so you don't have a low current (20A vs 15 A] option as us yanks do...If you do have one then try it on full power. What does the steam pressure display while you are steaming ?? Try bleeding the steam boiler by filling abut 120 ml or so into a cup, then try the steam..Now that's as much as I know about this...I hope this helps

desmond

#3: Post by desmond »

Newbie to forumland here, but I have the runny nose problem with a Silvia -- I assume you maintain your machine and have backflushed, etc. You may need an adjustment, a ring may have worn out, and someone with knowledge will chime in.

But that will not interfere with your ability to steam. Heck, I have a V1 Silvia and just finished with wonderful microfoam a minute ago. I am getting best results holding the tip just below the surface to stretch the milk until you can just feel it getting warm, then submerge the tip slightly and let the milk roll until it is uncomfortable to hold. I keep the tip in the center of the pitcher, but I've used an espro torroid lately at 12 oz. but with not a lot of power. With the GS3, you may need a 20 oz pitcher with its power until you learn to "massage" the situation. I learned from youtube videos of star baristas --

Try this for steaming:

http://youtu.be/0copwSCbv5k?t=3m20s

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by uscfroadie »

Did your machine come with LM's slow flow tip, as it does on machines shipping today? Mine is about 9 months old now and I find it super easy to get perfect microfoam. To do that, I perform a heavy purge of the wand until only steam comes out (about 3 seconds) and then start steaming. I'm normally steaming 5 ounces or less, so I have the steam boiler at 1.7 bar, but if I was steaming 8 ounces or more I'd bring that to the upper limit of 1.9-2.0 bar.

FWIW, my machine's wand and tip are bone sotck (no-burn with slow flow tip).

Hope this helps.
Merle

Runaro (original poster)

#5: Post by Runaro (original poster) »

I have the burn me wand and it is plumbed in with a line pressure of about 3 bar :)

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

Runaro wrote:When I turn of the steam the steam tip is like a "runny nose" dripping for a second or two.
Do you mean the condensation that's initially in the steam wand? If so, it's normal that you have to purge for a second or two before each drink. If you want an accurate measure of how wet the steam is, weigh out a pitcher of water (say 8 ounces), steam it to 160°F, then weigh again. IIRC, there should be no more than an ounce of newly accumulated water.

Wet steam is a consequence of (a) failing to purge the steam wand of condensation, or (b) too high a steam boiler water level. The boiler level can rise over time due to scale accumulating on the water level sensor.
Dan Kehn

Runaro (original poster)

#7: Post by Runaro (original poster) »

Thanks for the response :D
I do purge for a few seconds before steaming. As I steam for about 10 seconds, the pressure drops about a bar. If I tap some hot water, the steam is dry and nice but the pressure drops to around 1 bar and the steaming becomes less efficient. I suspect too high water level in the boiler (no scaling problems). Is there a way to decrease the water level in the steam boiler on the GS3?

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by Peppersass »

uscfroadie wrote:Did your machine come with LM's slow flow tip, as it does on machines shipping today?
What's the part number of tip you're referring to?

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#9: Post by Peppersass »

Runaro wrote:Is there a way to decrease the water level in the steam boiler on the GS3?
Yes, though there's not a lot of difference between the minimum and maximum settings -- only an inch or so.

The steam boiler water level probe, located on the upper left rear of the boiler, is bent 90 degrees:

When it's pointing straight down, the water level is set to the minumum. When it's pointing to the front or back of the boiler, the water level is at the maximum. My understanding is that the stock position is straight down -- i.e., the minimum setting.

The tab on the far left is where the lead from the brain box connects. It is bent 90 degrees, too, and points in the same direction as the probe itself. To change the position of the probe, loosen the small nut while holding the large nut with another spanner to keep it from moving (that would cause steam to escape from the boiler, which could pose danger to your hands and face.) Once the small nut is loosened, move the tab so it points straight down. Then tighten the small nut.

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by uscfroadie »

Peppersass wrote:What's the part number of tip you're referring to?
The no burn wand now comes with the L178 tip. I think this change took place a few years ago. This is the exact configuration Dan talks about in the most recent review of the machine.
Merle