Is under dosing required for old coffee?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Lauer

#1: Post by Lauer »

I have been using a coffee for about 2 weeks now and with 14g in a double basket it was under the shower screen, put in and then taking out the portafilter before pulling a shot.

The last few days there has been an imprint left while checking. I've checked with different grind too and no difference. My shots have been the same length albeit spraying the hell out of everything on the side the imprint is left on (left side).

Does this sound right?

TheSunInsideYou

#2: Post by TheSunInsideYou »

That doesn't sound like an issue with the coffee. When you said that you've had it for two weeks, does that mean that it's two weeks post roast? If so, that's not really old enough to be having a major change. I typically updose and grind coarser when the coffee is getting older to maintain the flavors I desire.

-Dave-
Caffeine is proof that God loves us.

Advertisement
Bob_McBob

#3: Post by Bob_McBob »

Are you weighing the ground dose in the basket with a 0.1 gram resolution scale?
Chris

Lauer (original poster)

#4: Post by Lauer (original poster) »

2 weeks post roast and weighed to exactly 14g with .1 g scales.

Another older coffee I have could only get 12g in the basket. Is there inter coffee weight difference per volume? Dosing method has been the same going between coffees.

I've bought some cleaner and will give the group a good clean, it may be pushing the portafilter up a few mm.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#5: Post by cannonfodder »

To you question, no. Updose with old coffee. You need to grind coarser and dose up to get what life is left in past its prime coffee. Go to a triple basket and stuff as much coffee in it as you can. However your problem could be unrelated although some coffees do go south fast especially if they are dark roast.
Dave Stephens

peacecup

#6: Post by peacecup »

My espresso blends start out in the south (Italy) which might explain why I like to updose so much. When frozen directly after opening the maintain a surprising amount of life for a couple of weeks.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

Lauer (original poster)

#7: Post by Lauer (original poster) »

Giving the group a good clean did solve the problem, probably all the sprites and chokes I've had in the last month :roll:

Advertisement
TheSunInsideYou

#8: Post by TheSunInsideYou replying to Lauer »

Don't be too hard on yourself. We've all, at one time or another, found ourselves with a seemingly unfixable issue only to find how simple the solution really was.

On the huge plus side, this is a great reminder of how important keeping your equipment clean is. A regular cleaning routine is key.

Glad you're back to drinking good shots. :D

-Dave-
Caffeine is proof that God loves us.

Lauer (original poster)

#9: Post by Lauer (original poster) »

Thanks Dave... You fix a problem, learn something then a new one comes up :lol: Rinse and repeat.