Is this a good shot with crema?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
sonicd0012

#1: Post by sonicd0012 »

Hello I would like to ask you guys if my shot produced in the pictures below is good with the correct amount of Crema. I would expect to see more crema as seen in my local coffee shop, but this is what my machine pulled with my freshly roasted beans from a roaster nearby.
I used a 35lb rated tamper press on my Bezzera mitica

LukeFlynn

#2: Post by LukeFlynn »

To be frank, there is no CORRECT amount of Crema. It all depends on the bean, and the roast. Care to tell us exactly what roaster? It might also be helpful for you to provide how many grams you are putting in and how many grams you are getting out.. Example:

18 grams of coffee ground into the portafilter usually tastes best when cut off after 32 grams of liquid espresso have been extracted into a cup. This is also known as a 1:2 ratio (A little bit less, but that's the gist). One thing that can be controversial, I like to stop my extraction when it blonds, I find this to give me around the right output I'm looking for, my coffee always blonds around 32 grams of output. It also helps to know what coffee the coffee shop is using.. better yet, ask them for their opinion. Most coffee shops will be pleased to offer help if it's not busy. Hell, I learned how to steam milk on a Rancilio Classe 7 at a coffee shop.

brianl

#3: Post by brianl »

I never understood the fascination with crema. I've had off tasting crema but a great shot otherwise and vice versa. I would focus less on crema and more on taste.

You can usually maximize crema with brazil arabica or robusta (gasp).

LukeFlynn

#4: Post by LukeFlynn replying to brianl »

Bleh, #1 reason I find all of those italian coffees to be super off putting.......... :oops: I don't understand it either, too much crema is like soap suds in your mouth and it'll just overpower everything. I like a dense crema of about 3-4cm.. but not ALL crema. Brian said it best, focus on taste.