Is there a barista's favorite brand or type of milk? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by yakster »

There does seem to be a bifurcation between camps who use 2% and often ultra-pasturized milk (seen pro-baristas tweet about this) and the whole milk verging on raw milk crowd which seems to be more Home-Barista centered.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Beezer

#12: Post by Beezer »

Barefoot and some other cafes use a special "Barista Milk" that's supposed to be custom tailored to make good coffee drinks.

http://www.strausfamilycreamery.com/?id=75

I recall the cappuccinos I've had at Barefoot do seem sweeter and tastier than what I make at home. Not sure if it's the milk or some other factor.

Personally, I just use 2% bought from the local Vons. It works fine, but I suspect some of the high end organic brands might be better. I'll have to find some and experiment. What's the best place to get high end milk? Whole Foods?
Lock and load!

NickSF

#13: Post by NickSF »

My steaming technique is so poor on my Silvia that I spent months trying to get anything decent with either 2% or organic whole milk - the sort with cream on top. I never managed anything that I was happy with till I tried half and half in desperation. The foam I now make is sweat, smooth and thick and coats the cup all the way down. After drinking Caps made with half and half even the richest organic milk tastes thin.

As to brand, its nearly always Trader Joe's, I alternate between the organic and regular based on sell by date, and don't notice much difference.

Intrepid510

#14: Post by Intrepid510 »

Never buy the archer farms target brand, disgusting. The milk just tastes old. Other than that not much preference the straus milk
seems interesting.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by hankua »

Nice to know which store brand is local.

http://whereismymilkfrom.com/

dustin360

#16: Post by dustin360 »

Straus Barista milk is the same as the stuff as they sell in the stores, except its homogenized. I prefer Clover organic which is the sweetest milk Ive tried so far.

Anvan

#17: Post by Anvan »

It seems that many or most of the good shops in Portland use Sunshine as the standard - according to one of the teachers at the Barista School here I spoke with last year. There's a good balance of sweetness and flavor, it comes in fresh and frequently, is widely available, not overpriced and it steams to excellent and reliable microfoam. I was cautioned that its optimal steaming temperature is about five degrees below most milk, however, or it's chains start to degrade; so if you use it, go for about 150F in preference to 155F. I've tried this an agree this different treatment works much better.

There are two types of Organic Valley here, one being Pasteurized and one being ultra-Pasteurized. The ultra provides much better microfoam and it holds up longer in the cup. It's also very, very sweet - too sweet according to some; in my experience it balances beautifully with darker chocolate-heavy roasts but not as well with finesse-y SOs which the sweetness overwhelms.

Even the stores that carry Strauss here don't offer the Barista Milk - a few say they tried and most of it died on the shelves. Just not enough demand. However, the New Seasons stores carry Garry's Meadow Fresh from a small dairy just south of Portland, which is 100% Jersey milk in glass bottles and has wonderful flavor (and short shelf life). Its microfoam may not be as spectacular as some others, but unless you live in a raw milk/certified dairy state, it's the best milk and cream you will ever taste. Gary's also has a booth at the Saturday Farmers' Market up at PSU.

Jeff
Team HB

#18: Post by Jeff »

Personal experience in the San Francisco Bay Area (as your brand x milk may be different than mine) is that Clover Organic Whole Milk is reliably good for microfoam and has great taste. Clover (red label) whole is also good, though not quite as tasty (subtle difference). Strauss Whole Milk has good flavor, but I have mixed results with microfoam. Horizon Whole Milk, while my wife's favorite for flavor cold, doesn't foam anywhere near as well as Clover. Berkeley Farms Whole Milk is about on par with Horizon for coffee use.

Any 2% milk I've tried is pitiful in comparison to whole milk.

I haven't noticed a huge difference between lactose-free and "regular" milk of the same dairy.

NickSF

#19: Post by NickSF »

Just checked the code on Trader Joes half and half: 06-691 which WhereIsMyMilkFrom.com says is Clover Stornetta, Petaluma, CA. I would'nt be surprised if their (Bay Area) Organic was also from Clover, it's probably worth making a note of the local dairy codes before going to the market so you know what your really getting.