Is it possible to get latte art textured milk from a plunger style frother?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Countduckula

#1: Post by Countduckula »

Hey guys,
I'm new to making coffee. I only have a french press, grinder and a plunger style frother which is basically a steel french press. I don't mind if it's harder this way over using a steamer as I quite like going old-school as I guess I'm weird like that. Besides I keep getting bad results :x
This is what I do:
-I heat the milk to about 65 Celsius on a hob
- I then use the plunger and plunge vigorously (I've experimented with different amounts of force and time of plunging but relatively same results)

However all I seem to get is a very light, bubbly frothy milk. Which just lays up top of the coffee. Rather than a thicker, less bubbly milk which I have seen in multiple youtube videos. Either way I can't practice latte art :cry:

Where am I going wrong?

Is it even possible to get the right milk texture for latte art with a plunger?

hipporun

#2: Post by hipporun »

I've never used what you speak of, so don't take what I say to heart.

I'm thinking not. For real latte art, you need the proper amount of stretching (sounds like paper tearing, this is air being introduced into the milk) then you have to roll the milk (aim wand at an angle, roll and rotate milk to integrate the microfoam into the milk uniformly.) To master all this on a real espresso machine takes time and practice, not sure how you could replicate these stages on plunger style frother:/

spressomon

#3: Post by spressomon »

I was never able to achieve true pourable microfoam using a couple different plunger type (or whirly style) frothers. OTOH they do seem to excel at creating very dry relatively stiff foam...for maybe old/traditional style cappuccinos.

I primarily used those types of frothing devices while out roaming/camping/boondocking and have since moved on to using a Bellman steamer: Easier clean up, capable of producing true pourable microfoam latte art style milk-foam.
No Espresso = Depresso

Countduckula (original poster)

#4: Post by Countduckula (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies guys, I guess I'll try and get hold of a streamer.

Marcelnl

#5: Post by Marcelnl »

The milk itself also makes a big difference, yet having used a frother like you describe for many years I think I can answer your question...you'll not get milk to the texture of a steamer, it indeed will become stiff or stay too loose.
a mechanical frother that heats the milk and foams it up with a whirly wheel can come close, but steaming is better.
But that said, the very milk itself is equally important, my best results are with ver fresh organic whole milk and there is variation across brands and even batches.
LMWDP #483

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by samuellaw178 »

It's doable if you just want a 'latte art'. The texture will never come close to a properly steamed milk. The key is the % of air incorporated, do it as if you're on an actual steamer (~30-50% expansion). I've tried a few different french presses and they all work when the same principle is applied.

entropy4money

#7: Post by entropy4money »

I used to do this back in college when I couldn't afford a espresso machine and had a moka pot, it worked like a charm :).

choupi

#8: Post by choupi »

Yup it is! Obviously it's not as simple as using a real steam wand, but it's possible:
I've also had luck with those handheld frothing wands before I got a proper espresso machine.

forbeskm

#9: Post by forbeskm »

I have used the hand held to help my pavoni steam wand along as I like more milk in my latte than the boiler can push around. It works great helping out. Its cool to see it work just on its own!