IMS shower screen for La Marzocco - First look

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
indend007

#1: Post by indend007 »

I got a new screen filter.
Part's name is IMS MA 200 IM(IMS means "Integrated membrane shower screen")

There's no metal net, but each shower hole have bunch of 19 membrane holes integrated.

IMO, "IMS" is cleanable and have better and effective water distribution.
Also it's price is reasonable than EP's precision shower filter.

EP's precision shower filter is also really well made things, but IMS can cheaper alternative gadget of it.
Here some pictures and video comparison between IMS and my old screen.

Anvan

#2: Post by Anvan »

It's now been more than a month since your original post - how is this new screen working out for you?

And on this topic of shower screens:
  • Is the back-flush filtration suggested by the IMS literature very useful or important? You'd think that a dispersion screen that, all other things being equal, keeps gunk out of the works during back-flushing would provide some benefits (if nothing else, less frequent cleaning). Any truth to this?
  • At the start of, and during the shot, do we need to demand anything more from the shower screen than dispersion that does not destroy the evenness of the puck surface? Of course, water jets would almost surely erode the puck and create channels, but absent such dramatic problems, the slow flow and insistent high pressure would seem to work evenly on the puck regardless of perfectly even distribution from above.
  • With the portafilter removed, it's easy from below to see the evenness - or not - of the shower. With no resistance from a puck however, I suspect that none but the most extreme differences in those visuals between different screens affect an actual shot.
  • Some alternatives screens may be more resistant to gunk build-up - or are easier to clean - and some may be more elegantly manufactured or (for what little it may be worth) more attractive. But are there any other shower screen characteristics that matter?

TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

Personally, I'd have to assume that unless this can somehow widen the error margin for a great shot prep, and deliver more consistent and excellent shots in a blind taste test, then it's all marketing and no actual benefit to the consumer, other than a weight loss plan for the wallet.

Pre-infusion should suffice for preparing the coffee bed without dislodging coffee and creating extraction problems.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Mayhem
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Mayhem »

I'm also interested in hearing more about this product. The manufacturer's website doesn't provide much information and neither does google. So far I've found one reseller in Australia who only has the E61 version, another in Thailand has the LM/Slayer/Synesso version but not really feel like giving them my credit card number...

http://imsfiltri.sitonline.it/1/competi ... 08314.html
http://shop.talkcoffee.com.au/collectio ... wer-screen
http://www.espressofriend.com/index.php ... uct_id=425
Too much is not enough

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by mitch236 »

Before I would spend any money on this, I would read the two posts above yours. I can't see any benefit from a "precision" shower screen. In fact, you could probably pull perfectly similar shots without the screen at all, however, the three way valve and the brew boiler would object!

crusty cup

#6: Post by crusty cup »

I have been using the IMS SPD 200 IM and SP 200 IM sold by Chris Coffee for the La Spaziale VII and can confirm better distribution, viewed with a naked portafilter. I'm using a Mazzer Mini and no pre-infusion, so maybe some folks with better equipment and technique don't need this, but I found it very effective against channeling. Not sorry about the $41 I spent at all.

jonr

#7: Post by jonr »

A layer of water is good at blunting the (minor) jet effect of a stream of water exiting a hole. And at distributing pressure and flow evenly. So my guess is that the gap between the top of the coffee and the shower screen is much more important than the shower screen itself.

michael

#8: Post by michael »

i use the screen in my la spaziale and get better looking shots; i like it 8)

TomC
Team HB

#9: Post by TomC »

I don't remember the source, but Ive read that lever groups are much better at pre infusion by their general design of having the water in the group cylinder and how it hits the screen. But I find this video very interesting, since it certainly appears to make an improvement.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

shawndo

#10: Post by shawndo »

I still don't understand how this would make an improvement when the headspace is under pressure. Wouldn't everything (assuming no channeling) equalize above the puck before pushing through? How would the water distribution help that?

I have the sproline version and although it is easier to keep clean and it comes with a lower-profile screw, which results in a little more headspace. I haven't noticed any benefit to the actually coffee production. (and I do measure with a refractometer)
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra