I've been overdosing - help adjusting

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Gig103

#1: Post by Gig103 »

I found out recently that our kitchen scale tolerance is 0.5oz which is 2g. So I finally bought an 0.1g jewelry scale and re-weighed the shots that I've been pulling. They are coming in at 19.5-19.6g (Vario timed shots) with the coarseness set super fine - 1 macro, C micro, and that's after using the adjustment tool.

In my head, if I were to dose down to somewhere like the recommended 16g double, I'd need to make it even finer to restrict the flow to the same amount. Is that correct? Or am I supposed to take the volume of the basket into account, using the the nickel test to make sure there's a proper distance from the shower screen?

sweaner

#2: Post by sweaner »

So, how do you like the shots you are making now? If you like them, why change?
Scott
LMWDP #248

Advertisement
boar_d_laze

#3: Post by boar_d_laze »

Let me turn this around and get your analysis and advice.

For most bean/roast combinations I adjust my dose to around 19 - 20g into an 18g Strada basket, and my grind so that shot time runs in the 27 - 33sec range.

About a month ago, I switched from one of my typical Panama/El Salvador, Full City blends to SO San Francisco beans (from El Slavador, sourced through Klatch), roasted to around City+, and appropriately rested. Since the switch, humidity has been generally a little higher than what we usually experience. I'm still dosing at 19.5g give or take, into the same baskets. Even though I've adjusted my grinder to a finer setting than I've ever used for similarly well rested beans, shot times tend to run very fast, around 20sec.

The espresso is excellent. Sweet, nutty, floral, milk-chocolate, caramel, acidish in the best ways, and all the other good things; whether or not it's the holy grail of exceptional espresso -- no exaggeration -- the stuff is freaking awesome.

What should I do?

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

bmb

#4: Post by bmb »

Using less coffee results in also using less water, to keep the same brewing ratio.
Finer or coarser depends on which one tastes better for your specific conditions (the combination of the beans you are using, your grinder, machine, etc.).
For my conditions, I normally begin with 14gr (for very recently roasted beans), dosing up as they get older.
With "milder" beans I may have to begin with 16gr or even 17gr.

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by mitch236 »

boar_d_laze wrote:The espresso is excellent. Sweet, nutty, floral, milk-chocolate, caramel, acidish in the best ways, and all the other good things; whether or not it's the holy grail of exceptional espresso -- no exaggeration -- the stuff is freaking awesome.

What should I do?

BDL
Nothing!

BTW, I find some coffees requiring abnormally fine grinds to brew properly, mostly the Geisha's. I think some beans just don't produce as many fines as others.

boar_d_laze

#6: Post by boar_d_laze »

mitch236 wrote:Nothing!
Exactly. The proof is in the cup, not the metrics. Those are only aids.

BDL

Gig103 (original poster)

#7: Post by Gig103 (original poster) »

sweaner wrote:So, how do you like the shots you are making now? If you like them, why change?
I'm trying different coffee when my shipment from Redbird arrives. I guess my question was more generic, if a smaller dose requires a finer grind or not.

Advertisement
boar_d_laze

#8: Post by boar_d_laze replying to Gig103 »

Everything else being equal, "probably." However, when you change roasts, baskets, or any other factor, the answer changes to: "Sometimes, but not always."

The trick to this game is understanding how changes to the four easiest and most important (and easiest to control) parameters -- dose, grind, brew ratio and temp -- will change the quality of the coffee in the cup. It's also important to have some idea of what your equipment will and will not allow you to do consistently.

BDL