How to Make Decent Paper-Filtered Espresso - Page 6

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
peacecup

#51: Post by peacecup »

For the record, I've been making great filter-paper espresso for at least a year now, 3-4 times a day. Adding the paper is simply not a problem, and I get nice, even extractions just the same. Not sure if it has helped with cholesterol, because I haven't checked in a few years.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

allon

#52: Post by allon »

Benjammer wrote:I've actually thought about adding a paper filter to an espresso machine before, just because I don't like the fine (bitter over extracted) particles that seem to end up in the crema.
If you have this as a problem, it might be the coffee, the grind, or I suppose the basket.

But regardless, you can mitigate it somewhat by letting the first drips fall into the drip tray, not the cup.

Hth
LMWDP #331

Advertisement
cannonfodder
Team HB

#53: Post by cannonfodder »

Grinds in the cup are most often caused by hitch hikers on the portafilter spouts. I wipe the bottom of the spouts or basket when using a bottomless before I pull my shots as a matter of routine. If that is not the case, you may need a new basket. They do ware out. The bottoms will bow and the holes will erode larger over time.
Dave Stephens

Benjammer

#54: Post by Benjammer »

The fine particles seem to happen with a variety of coffees, sometimes more than others. You can taste them in the crema but it's not like grainy feeling. I use a vario grinder, and a pretty new VST basket (2 months old maybe) I've noticed the same thing at some highly rated Cafes too, maybe to a lesser extent (the coffee particles stick mostly on the edges of the cups) so I think it's 'normal'.

Try spooning off the top of the crema and eating it, or licking what's stuck to the cup after drinking espresso or even a cappuccino and let me know if it tastes good to you. It should give you a not so pleasant over extracted bitter coffee aftertaste type taste.
I think it contributes to the bitterness of the coffee in a good way as well though when its distrubuted evenly within the drink at least. I've tried chemex filtered coffee, where it didn't have that bitterness at all, but it tasted TOO smooth, and seemed like it was missing something. Great aftertaste though. I think it's because the micro particles were filtered out.

dustin360

#55: Post by dustin360 »

Im not sure you can compare espresso and a chemex... but I get what your saying. And there is definitely insoluble solids in the crema, thats the one of the reasons creama tastes awful.

Benjammer

#56: Post by Benjammer »

Ok, So I did an experiment today and brewed one espresso shot without a filter, and one with the filter between the portafilter and portafilter holder.
It ended up getting sucked in a bit down the spout, but it seemed to do its job.
It seemed to filter out most of the crema, and the fine particles maybe 80-90 percent of it. The filtered cappuccino was allot smoother and left a nicer aftertaste. The first unfiltered one had more of a bitterness / ashyness to it, which might be attributed to the type of coffee as well.
I used a Kootenay Crossing by Kicking Horse which isn't a specialty blend for espresso, and not so fresh, but I Find makes nice cappuccinos.
I got the results I was expecting pretty much.

Were you guys putting the paper filter actually in the portaftiler at the bottom with the coffee grounds?

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#57: Post by RapidCoffee »

Check out the pix at the start of this thread. The paper disk goes at the bottom of the filter basket, beneath the coffee grinds.
John

Advertisement
Benjammer

#58: Post by Benjammer »

Ah I don't know how I missed the pictures at the beginning of the thread! Woah.

Also:
drgary wrote:Just tried the Fiskar's hole punch. The size of the circles is right. But the punch seems designed for cutting craft paper and maybe index cards, so it doesn't easily cut through filter paper, which is thinner and more flexible. I'm experimenting with different amounts of different types of filter paper and have had some success but no clean cuts first time through. So the pre-made filters may be better. I may experiment with disassembling the hole punch and sharpening the die.
Why not try cutting a few filters at once, the extra thickness might help it cut better?

drgary
Team HB

#59: Post by drgary »

Benjammer wrote:Why not try cutting a few filters at once, the extra thickness might help it cut better?
That is what I do. It is better but a bit futsy. It works well enough.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!