Help dialing in a new grinder

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
rufusmcd

#1: Post by rufusmcd »

Hi,
I am a newbie trying to get serious about my shots. I started with a Starbucks Barista espresso machine and grinder. I depressurized my portafilter to gain a better technique. My shots were coming out way too fast no matter how hard I tamped. After not being able to get a fine enough grind. I ordered a Bartaza Vario. I received it two days ago. Even after setting the grind as close as I feel comfortable(I can hear the motor laboring a good bit and I don't want to damage the burrs) I am still getting fast shots. The beans I am using are store bought. I am using them just to dial in the grinder. I have ordered a Crossland CC1. It is on its way but I would have thought that a Baratza Vario would have choked a Starbucks Barista machine. I do have some more beans that I roasted myself. Will those make a difference? Can I go even finer with the grinder? The macro slider in all the way up to fine and the micro is on G(about 3/4 of the way up). I have watched videos on calibrating the Vario and from what I can tell it is about where it is supposed to be. When I looked at the grind it looked like powder. Any help will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

varnex

#2: Post by varnex »

You still have some room for adjustment on the Vario. As long as you have beans in your hopper, the burrs won't ever touch. Don't worry about the labouring sounds, I'm sure you're safe to set the grind finer.

Alternatively, you can adjust your dose higher to slow down the shot flow.

Advertisement
Ben_VC

#3: Post by Ben_VC »

I have struggled to dial in store-bought beans. My symptoms have been controlled but too-fast flow changing to channeling/gushers when I grind finer. Fresh beans made all the difference. This happened with my Vario and with my old Sunbeam grinder as well.

My Vario grinds for espresso anywhere from G to E with the macro at its finest fwiw.

Cheers Ben

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

-- If the coffee is more than about three weeks old, nothing will work.
-- If the gushing starts immediately, and there is less than about 5 seconds from the time you turn on the pump to the time you see coffee coming out of the spout, learn how to distribute and tamp -- a bottomless portafilter will help.
-- Buy a 1/10th gram scale (lots of then for around $10 on Ebay) to weigh doses. You should use a range of about 13 to 17 grams on the Saeco, and stick with the same dose to the nearest 1/3 gram. that will get you a grind setting that will work consistently shot after shot
-- Make sure the machine is hot; use the steam switch if you have to. Water below about 190F is not absorbed well by the coffee; so the puck doesn't swell and form a seal. This means you'll get a gush even through Turkish grind.
Jim Schulman

rufusmcd (original poster)

#5: Post by rufusmcd (original poster) »

Wow! thanks for the replies. I will go ahead and trash the old beans and try again with my beans. I have always made sure my machine was as hot as possible but I will try the steam trick. I will have a lot more control once I get the Crossland. I bought a .o1 gram scale today on ebay. I have watched a lot of videos fro Seattle Coffee Gear which is where I have bought my new equipment from. Gail always fills her portafilter to the top then smooths it off then tamps. I never see her weigh the beans before or after she grinds. I have purchased a poppery ii and a poppery 1 which will allow me to roast in smaller doses. So I will give all of this a shot and let you know the results. Thanks again for the replies. I was really nervous thinking I had just spent a grand and might still be drinking the same coffee.

JmanEspresso

#6: Post by JmanEspresso »

SeattleCoffeeGear videos are wonderful for looking at pretty equipment.

The type of espresso we are trying to make here, is not what they're interested in doing. They have no desire to, as they say, "Get Scientific" about their coffee, which is to say, if its outside the norm of what any random consumer would do, they're basically not going to do it. Weighing shots? Forget it. There is a market for everyone, and they cater to many, but not the crowd that frequents this website. You'll find that, although at first it might seem finicky to add weighing your shots to your routine, the results are worth it.

1)Stale coffee is worthless for ANYTHING. It will do you no good. Dont even use it to try and learn. Nothing you do with stale coffee will translate to fresh coffee. You basically need to be a snob about it, because stale coffee is literally worthless in every way imaginable.
-You need to order some fresh roasted, HIGH QUALITY, roasted coffee. List of our Favorite Roasters Thats quite the list to start with. I suggest Counter Culture Coffee, Toscano Espresso. Buy enough to use in 2 weeks time, then buy more. Id suggest sticking with the same coffee for the time being, to get used to what you need to do over the life of the beans, without having the variable of different coffees on top of everything else. Toscano Espresso is easy to pull, and tastes very good.
2)Read This- /espresso-guide.html
-This-/weiss-dist ... nique.html
-And This- /naked-extraction.html

The CC1, Vario, and quality coffee, is a great start. Add barista skill to it, and good shots will be the norm in no time.

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

rufusmcd wrote:Even after setting the grind as close as I feel comfortable... I am still getting fast shots.
You may find this video helpful: Newbie Introduction to Espresso - Grinders.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
heavyduty

#8: Post by heavyduty »

Rule #1 Always use fresh coffee.
Rule #2 Obey all rules!
Tomorrow came sooner than expected.

Paul

rufusmcd (original poster)

#9: Post by rufusmcd (original poster) »

Thanks again for all your tips! I tried again today with my beans that I roasted and getting the heat up to steam. I went ahead and set the grinder to the finest position on the macro and the micro. It choked. Backed off a little each time and it choked the next two tries. Then I backed the macro down one notch and put the micro on m. Almost perfect, 2 oz shot in 26 seconds. So I will go from there. Those videos are great! And I thought I had watched every video on youtube about espresso. It still tastes bitter to me straight but great in a milk based drink. But thats another battle. Now I have to roast more beans because I am running low. Everyone have a great day!!