Grinder Cleaning Blower

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by yakster »

I recently picked up a Giottos Rocket-Air Blower for cleaning my grinders-bought one for the Vario at home and one for the hand-grinders at work. So far it seems to work very well, also it's supposed to be good for cleaning keyboards and camera lenses.

Anyone with a Giotto or Rocket machine may want this just for the namesake.

To kill the suspense, the prep work you see in the picture was for an afternoon shot of 50/50 Liquid Amber and Brazil Condado Peaberry that was quite good, despite near choking the La Peppina, pulled into my new yellow Inker Ischia demitasse.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

yakster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster (original poster) »

The large blower (the only one I've tried) produces good force, includes no bitterants, and uses a one-way valve to draw air from the base and propel it out the tip.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Bob_McBob

#3: Post by Bob_McBob »

Rocket blowers are handy for all sorts of tasks like this. I use mine for photography cleaning, blowing chaff out of my Lido, drying the lens on my coffee refractometer, and so on. As you say, they produce a good blast of air and contain no propellants or bitterants.
Chris

jbviau
Supporter ★

#4: Post by jbviau »

I'm totally going to pick one of these up and try blowing the LIDO's hopper out with it. Thanks! Great idea.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Marshall_S

#5: Post by Marshall_S »

Good pickup on this blower.

I bought a couple several years ago to use on my photography equipment and discovered it works great for cleaning out the fan and other hard to reach places on my Quest roaster-
LMWDP#384

LaDan

#6: Post by LaDan »

Hmm... You can buy something similar at your local pharmacy.

iginfect

#7: Post by iginfect »

LeDan said
You can buy something similar at your local pharmacy.
That was how I described it to my wife equivalent when I let her in on my new proposed addition to the kitchen.

Marvin

jbviau
Supporter ★

#8: Post by jbviau »

Update: I'm in for one, arriving tomorrow via Amazon. The large size was actually the cheapest.

Many reviews by photography types gave the impression that the Rocket is in a different league than your average "CVS special" aspirator/bulb blower. We'll see. I have something like this at home that I didn't even bother to try because it doesn't generate much force at all.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

SJM

#9: Post by SJM »

Thanks for the reminder, Chris, I just ordered mine.
I ran it by my brother to see if he was familiar and he sez he already has two....
I will try blowing out the hopper on the Pharos when it gets here...

Susan

LaDan

#10: Post by LaDan »

What I would really consider handy is a blower, similar to plumber sink drain thingy, (whatchmacallit?) That could fit on top of the adjusting collar. Push it down to forcefully blow air and blow the remaining grounds out into the doser, for an easy zero retention of single dosing.