Grind frozen coffee beans

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Taand

#1: Post by Taand »

Hello everybody,

As a coffee lover, I have a question. Does anyone have experience with freezing coffee beans and grind it frozen? Is this possible and what is the effect on the coffee?

I would like to freeze coffee beans and grind it while it's frozen.

I hope someone has an answer to this, it will be really helpful for me!

Thank you for your answer.

Beaniac

#2: Post by Beaniac »

I did it for a long while and never experienced any trouble. If you use the search function there is a lot written about "to freeze or not to freeze".

ravco

#3: Post by ravco »

I ground frozen beans for a while when my coffee consumption was very irregular to avoid beans going stale. Didn't notice any difference in taste. Grounds seemed to be defrosted by the time they had been through the grinder.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

I know some people who've done this as a matter of course, and even claimed some benefit to grinding the beans frozen. I've done it several times, I usually only make espresso on the weekends and will sometimes grab a jar from the freezer for a weekend espresso session, I never noticed a difference with using frozen, defrosted, or never frozen beans.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

spearfish25

#5: Post by spearfish25 »

Agree with everyone. No issue. I freeze all my new beans in mason jars now to avoid the worry about it aging or staling.

pngboy

#6: Post by pngboy »

One of the only problems with that is when you expose frozen beans before that have acclimated to room temp the beans you don't use will develop condensation on them and can cause freshness problems.

pngboy

#7: Post by pngboy »

I have some heineken fliptop bottles that I like even better than mason jars

weebit_nutty

#8: Post by weebit_nutty »

I did this for about a month as a test. I had no problems grinding frozen beans. It made no discernable difference than grinding room-temperature beans.

Between frozen and non-frozen beans, there was no discernable difference in quality. After the test, I stopped freezing beans as the frozen beans degraded at the same rate as the beans stored on my counter. Both, of course, stored in the same exact airtight container.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

spearfish25

#9: Post by spearfish25 »

weebit_nutty wrote:I stopped freezing beans as the frozen beans degraded at the same rate as the beans stored on my counter. Both, of course, stored in the same exact airtight container.
Really? You thought beans frozen for a month were as stale as beans on your counter for a month? My experience has really been that freezing puts the beans in a suspended animation where flavor remains unchanged for at least 3-4 weeks. My counter top beans regardless of container staled in a week or two.

Nick Name

#10: Post by Nick Name »

weebit_nutty wrote:I stopped freezing beans as the frozen beans degraded at the same rate as the beans stored on my counter.
Oh man, there must be something wrong here... :?: