Flushing the group before a shot...

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
SonVolt

#1: Post by SonVolt »

I've noticed in a lot of online videos baristas will do a quick flush of the group before inserting the portafilter and pulling a shot. I'm guessing this is to stabilize the temp of the group. Typically I'll flush to clean the last shot followed by 30-90 second wait as I grind, dose, tamp my next shot. Should I also be doing a quick flush right before inserting the portafilter? Or was the cleaning flush following by the grind/dose time sufficient? I'm using a Profitec Pro 700.

LaMarzooka

#2: Post by LaMarzooka »

I've been doing a 2 second flush before locking in the PF for 2 weeks now, but I can't recall where the tip originated for me. :?
Espresso or no go!

keno

#3: Post by keno »

Depends upon the machine and settings. Some DB machines (assume that's what you are asking about since you have a Pro 700 - HX's are totally different) are fine without any flush, but some may require a quick flush to help bring the group head up to temp. Experiment to find out what works best for your machine and then just be consistent.

brianl

#4: Post by brianl »

Dan discusses this in his review of your machine. I believe it was flush, grind tamp pull. so probably around 25 seconds wait? The e61 DBs typically need a flush based on what your settings are due to the cooler water being circulated through the group while its idle compared to a hx

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

SonVolt wrote:Should I also be doing a quick flush right before inserting the portafilter? Or was the cleaning flush following by the grind/dose time sufficient?
The screen cleaning flush right before lock-in is common for commercial espresso machines; it clears the screen of old coffee and helps with last second stabilization. For semi-commercial espresso machines like the Profitec Pro 700, I recommend the screen cleaning flush 20-30 seconds before the extraction to give the brew boiler a little extra time to restabilize. As Brian noted, the Profitec Pro 700 Review includes more details.
Dan Kehn