FINALLY! Transparent portafilter espresso extraction videos

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Mohammad

#1: Post by Mohammad »

For years I've read about Illy's one and seen a photo of it but never seen a video of it in action. Look at what La Spaziale has done!

Bad prep
Good prep

Chabeau
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Chabeau »

Very neat. Now we just need to see what's going on inside the puck...
"The percolations are imminent."

-C.M. Burns, c.1996

Bob_McBob

#3: Post by Bob_McBob »

Wow, how did we miss this for a year? :shock:

Some things that stick out are how little the dispersion pattern seems to matter when the pressure build-up is very gentle before the headspace is completely full. Also how violent the pressure release is at the end of the extraction. That has often been implicated as the real cause of many of the "telltale flaws" of puckology, and you can certainly see why. I would love to see more of this showing things like the effect of different pre-infusion lengths, gicleurs, and so on.
Chris

Mohammad (original poster)

#4: Post by Mohammad (original poster) »

Bob_McBob wrote:Wow, how did we miss this for a year? :shock:
That was my exact thought when a coffee buddy, who's not yet on H-B, sent me this! Shocking ;)

To me those extractions were done with fast pressure buildup rather than gentle preinfusion, leading to visible puck disturbance prior to start of full extraction, I think I see channeling even in the second (good) video.

bostonbuzz

#5: Post by bostonbuzz »

You can totally see in the second video there is a valley in the left side - subtle, but not for us- which causes a left- sided pour. Cool, it's exactly how I pictured it!
LMWDP #353

erik82

#6: Post by erik82 »

It's also very nice to see that the biggest part of the expansion of the puck happens after the shot stopped and not during pre-infusion before the shot starts. This will cause a review of all of our understandings of headspace because we all thought the puck would expand most during pre-infusion.

Very interesting video.

DanoM

#7: Post by DanoM »

Ahhhh Man! Now I need to get a "Transparent Portafilter" too??? Why'd you go and show me that? :lol:

Seriously though. Make a special acrylic like plastic portafilter with a metal collar, matching basket with a chopped metal basket screen in the bottom... Not sure how long it would last, but would definitely make for some very interesting videos and study. It could possibly turn the world of "precision espresso" on its head.
LMWDP #445

dpiette
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by dpiette »

Bob_McBob wrote:... Also how violent the pressure release is at the end of the extraction. That has often been implicated as the real cause of many of the "telltale flaws" of puckology, and you can certainly see why. I would love to see more of this showing things like the effect of different pre-infusion lengths, gicleurs, and so on.
And levers!

Because the lever ends with a pressure of zero (bar) gradually, you won't see such a disruption.

Very cool video.
you can't win,
you can't break even,
you have to play.
-the three laws of thermodynamics

Spitz.me

#9: Post by Spitz.me »

Love this video. Really glad I've finally been able to see it. I always thought looking at the puck afterwards was a fools game and the disruption of stopping the pressure certainly points to the fact that it may tell you next to nothing if all you do is look at the top of the puck for signs of channeling.

I was a little surprised to see so little evident disruption in the puck when the water hits it. To me, this gives me visual proof of how important it is to tamp well.
LMWDP #670

Nuprin

#10: Post by Nuprin »

They already have "Transparent Aluminum" from Star Trek IV:

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2012/05/09/did-y ... um-exists/

The portafilter might cost $10k to make, but it's doable.